1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on a good cheap CPU mainly used for DVDshrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by coltrane, Apr 21, 2005.

1. coltrane

coltrane Member

Im planning on building a new 2nd computer, used mainly for encoding movies using Shrink and decrypter. I presently have a Dell Demension 8400 P4 3.0, 1 meg DDR2 ram, 160Gb SATA HD. Using this in conjunction with my Speedhacked BenQ 1620, I can generally rip and encode a Dual layer pressed movie in about 13-14mins. I'm very happy with the speed of this computer, but I'm on a budget for this second one. The computer will be used almost exclusively for encoding movies.

Can you guys recommend any cheaper CPU's that might come close to matching the dells #'s. I've read that P4's with hyper threading are better at encoding video than AMD's.

Whats more important in an encoding CPU... Cache, FSB, or Ghz? I've read that the prescott celeronD processors overclock very well for cheap, would this even help given the lower cache of these chips?

I really don't want to spend more than about $140 for the CPU, so this pretty much eliminates most of the newer P4 Cpu's. I can get a AMD64 3000+ for $200 with a $100 rebate so right now this is at the front of my list, but I'm torn because of the things I've read about the AMDs not being quick encoders.

Please any help would be appreciated.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you kidding me? I have two P4 systems one is a 2.8GHz and the other is a 3.4GHz. The system I use to backup DVD's has a AMD XP2700+ only 2.16GHz and it out performs both P4 CPU's.. Go with the AMD64 3000+. I'm not sure where you are buying it from though because you can get one at Newegg.com for $147 Retail!!

If all you are going to do is encode movies on the second computer then you should focus most of your energy on the following, and in this order..

1. CPU
    2. Hard Drive (Get a fast one and big too)
    3. Good Motherboard with Ultra DMA and maybe even SATA
    4. Memory at least a Gig
    5. Of course a good burner (theres a lot to choose from)
    6. A good Video card at least 128MB DDR
    Any thing else doesnt really matter to much, but your processor and hard drive should be the main concerns. :)

3. coltrane

coltrane Member

Thanks for the input mayo.... Tiger direct has the AMD64 for $200 with a $100 rebate.... so $100 after rebate. But I've heard some bad things about tiger and rebates, so I'm a little hesitant to order from there.

So you think the AMD64 is the way to go eh?

I've got no experience with AMD so all I can do is believe what I've read. I've just heard that the p4 HT's outperformed AMDs when it comes to encoding. But sounds like you've got first hand experience with the P4 vs Amd debate.

Have you ever OC'd any of your comps? Does this actually make a noticeble difference in ripping speed?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  4. coltrane

coltrane Member

Dammit, I just checked Tiger and the 3000+ doesn't have a rebate any more :( I know it was there last night. Oh well looks like now they have the 3400+ with a rebate now for $129. That one is a socket 754, do you think it's worth the extra money to go to a 939 with the higher Bus speed.... 1600 vs. 2000

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

As per my sig mine is an AMD 2800+ (Barton model so it's 2.08Ghz) and it flies - equivalent to a P4 2.8GHz. However i don't find the need to have a fast video card, as mine has onboard video that is more than up to the job (onboard is quick enough to watch DVDs on for instance). I no longer use PC for games so don't need a separate vid card. Other than that i'd second what BBmayo recommended.

My brother has a couple of P4 3.06 HT machines but don't know if HT is utilised for encoding (he doesn't use his machines for dvd's anyway). My 2800 encodes films in 15mins average.

I'm a recent AMD convert and there's no going back to Intel for me. I'd love to buy a 2nd identical machine (as for CPU i'd buy another 2800 - £70 plus postage now, not bad at all, think these buddie machines prob take up to 3000 Barton); haven't much room as i live on a boat, but these machines are v nice... (methinks i'll end up blowing this month's ovies on one). I don't overclock mine (it idles at about 60C and that's with a heatsink/fan from a 3000XP), don't fancy it catching fire and waking up in the river!.

[​IMG]

6. coltrane

coltrane Member

Hey creaky thanks for the input. I've read nothing but good things about the newer AMD processors with the exception being that P4's with Hyper Threading are quicker for encoding DVDs. But that really is beside the Point considering that my Budget won't allow me to get a newer P4.

AMD definately sounds like the way to go.... 15min for a for an encode sounds great to me, especially for a 2nd comp. And I'm assuming one of the Newer AMD64's would be even quicker than the XP2800+.

It'll be almost exclusively a ripping Comp so I'm thinking the same thing as you on the video card, I don't really have a need for an extra AGP or PCIe board. But as Mayo said I am going to look into a decent HD.

Thanks again for the input.

Thats a sweet rig by the way..... Very sleek

Cheers

7. creaky

it is a great rig, super fast, and nice and small, which is what i needed.
    I have to sit on the floor tho, which can be bad for the back, oh and damn cold too in the winter as the floor is about a foot under
    the waterline !. I have a single PCI slot and a single AGP slot but don't want the extra heat in that tiny case. Plus i recently
    replaced my olde but goodie 20gigger with a nice fast 120gigger, i'm sure that's added some heat inside case. Airflow in the case is
    good, but i have to put pc quite close to the wall as the boat is only 6ft wide, so case does get a tad too dusty.
    Just finished costing up another one of these sexy cases, a tad cheaper than last time -
    £65 - case with integrated m/board
    £65 - cpu with decent h/sink & fan (or could go XP3000 for approx £80)
    £40 - 512MB ram
    £35 - dvd burner
    - total of £205 plus postage, bargain for a v fast pc!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well believe it or not your video card has a whole lot to do with how stable your system will run even more so than the memory. So I would still always reccomend a good video card. I don't mean a 4 or 500 dollar video card just a decent one with at least 128GB of memory. Anyone that works on computers for a living everyday (like me) will tell you a good video card is essential for a smooth operating computer and is one of the most over looked pieces of hardware.

My 2700+ always takes less than 5 min to encode a DVD, but of course I don't do hardly any compression (if any at all). I believe this has a lot to do with all the points I made earlier about hardware. SATA HD, 256MB ATI Radeon Video Card, 1.5GHz DDR memory.

I did forget to mention anothe piece of hardware you really don't need to skimp on.. Fan's what I mean by that is cooling for your case and processor. Keep it cool and it will preform much better.

As far as overclocking a processor I have done it on a few systems, and it really doesn't make any noticable difference. So I don't believe in overclocking at all besides you will void any type of warranty if you do overclock. Also the overclocked CPU's are never as stable they seem to be a bit more buggy, and they get much hotter..

On the question of getting the bigger processor.. Bigger is always better!! :) Will you notice a big difference though? Probably not at all. IMO save the extra money and get a good video card you won't regret it :)

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Here are some suggestions for you. I am not sure how much you are wanting to spend for your system so I just put together a little something in the middle of the road so to speak. This system would do you well, and if you stayed somewhere around these specs you should be good to go!

APEX SK337-A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply---$33.00

GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250 ATX AMD Motherboard---$73.00

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle 800MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor---$120.00

KINGMAX SuperRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory---$78.79

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B200M0 200GB 7200 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive---$106.00

GIGABYTE Radeon 9550 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card---$79

NEC 3520A DVD/RW + -R DL ---$49.99

LITE-ON Beige 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive SOHD-16P9S ---$23.99

[bold]Total[/bold]---$563.77 Pretty good price for a system that will back up DVD’s with ease! All these prices are from http://www.newegg.com the best place to get PC parts online IMO.

Good luck with your new system :)

10. creaky

@coltrane, over to you. I would still suggest buying something, if it happens to have onboard video, see how your machine performs, and maybe then buy a vid card later if onboard vid comes up lacking. I don't want to aggravate anyone by suggesting that it's your money and your choice, but hey, i've recommended what works (very) well for me. And i rip & burn a lot of stuff. Your money at the end of the day. I built my current machine for a measly £240 and it is excellent for dvd stuff, but then again so was it's predecessor, an aging Compaq corporate PC, P3 500 with 384MB ram, slower for encoding but super stable.

11. coltrane

coltrane Member

Thanks Guys,
    You've really helped me out, it's always nice to get other peoples opinions. I'm almost certain I will go with the AMD64 and I'm definately going to look into some of the equipment that Mayo suggested.
    I never really realized that the video card could improve things that much. I always thought they were mainly for gamers. From a budget standpoint I probably will get a motherboard with integrated video at first, Then I'll just upgrade to a Vid Card later on.
    Luckily I already have a couple extra drives a lite-on 167T and a BenQ1620 so I won't have to spend any money there. It'd be nice If I could use the couple extra sticks of DDR2 memory I yanked from my dell to, But I don't even know if AMD supports this type of memory.
    Well I still have some things to figure out, but you guy's have definately pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks again guys.... :)

12. creaky

cool. Hope you get what you want. Budget is my middle name. permanent budget is my full name lol. Which reminds me I do have some fairly decent 3D vid cards lying around but just don't need them for DVDs.
    I'm just rebuilding one of my bruv's Win2k P4 HT machines (More fans and LED's than i don't know what) with XP to see if he'll like XP. He's like me, doesn't change for change's sake, but as long as eBay works the same he'll probably convert. Especially as i ghosted his hard drive first just in case. Just gonna pop in an NEC 3520A dvd burner too and test it out with DVD Shrink.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Its not the processor that has to support the memory it is the motherboard. Just look for a board thet supports the memory and the processor.

Again it is your money and you need to go with what you can afford, but I would never reccomend an intergrated video card to anyone. That's just my opinion of course, but I have seen to many issues with the built in video cards, and sometimes you can't even disable them to put another video card in later. So just make sure you do get one that will allow you to do that. Again most people that do build computers are in the same agreement as my on this one. It is cheaper to get a board with the video built onto the board though so a lot of people elect to go that route. In fact to build cheaper computers now a days all the top manufacurer's have went this route which really sux's!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005