1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on a laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 4thmebcoB, Jul 23, 2007.

1. 4thmebcoB

4thmebcoB Member

Okay I was thinking about buying a laptop but have no idea as to what to look for like the types of boards,brands etc. I'm decently computer literate but as far as laptops....no clue. Anyways my price range is about $800 - $1000 & i'm looking for I guess a gaming type (seems how if you have a gaming system you can run virtually anything)but it doesn't have to be "top of the line". I'd like a 15 in. screen but it's not a must. Also, what is needed for wireless connection exactly, Is it a wireless adpter,card,is it built in or what? Also What should you look for as far as specs, brands or whatever? I'm just curious becuase when I tried to read things about this stuff it confused me.

I'd appreciate it if could help me out in any of this.

2. RickyMan

RickyMan Regular member

ok if u have i grand to spend you have lots to choose from

i suggest a imac it have wireless built in also perfect for gaming also there are only 1 know virus for it and is very more useful than a pc

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

When you say gaming what types of games are you referring to? Also any decent PC's these days will have wifi capabilities built in to the mobo/laptop. I would suggest to not get a iMac as if you are interested in gaming then macintosh is definetly not the way to go. Before we can post any brands,specs, etc. we need to know what you plan to do with the laptop.

4. RickyMan

RickyMan Regular member

that is true but it does have pretty good gaming quality's and lots more features

the best computers right now in my opinion are mac/apple, dell, alien ware(highly doubt he can afford a 9 grad comp), sony vaio

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Alienware you'll get nothing for $1000, Macs are not for gaming, so both of those are out of the question. I recommend going for a Dell Inspiron system, try and find one with a good graphics chipset (better than Integrated or an X1400).

6. 4thmebcoB

4thmebcoB Member

Thx for replys everyone. To answer some Questions, I play BF2 so I want it capable of running this game & others equivalent to it's graphics (dont have to be high settings) & I guess that's the extent of that as far as games. Everything else i plan to do with it is just kind of the basics in a way. I want to use it for work in which I use Microsoft office (which doesn't take much at all), burning DVD's & CD's, Internet browsing (at a decent speed) & thats about all. Basically I want something that can do what an average (or a little higher) home comp can. Again, it don't have to be extravagant. Another question, are laptops just as easy to to upgrade as a pc? I imagine so but as i said before I have almost 0 knowledge when it comes laptops, lol.

sammorris, you mentioned a dell. Are they a decent company when it comes to laptops you think? The reason I'm asking is I've heard alot of bad things about their home comps in the past(tho never tried one personally).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think you've heard scare stories, most Dells in my experience seem to be pretty well built. Their monitors are top notch, at any rate. Their laptops are also quite impressive, and reasonably good value all the way up the field.
    As for upgrades, that's a no go I'm afraid, the only upgradable parts of a laptop are usually the RAM and Hard disk. In order to play BF2 at a reasonable seting, I'd recommend a minimum of the Radeon X1400 chipset.

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@sammorris

I am not very up to date on my integrated graphics chips. But I took a peak around dell.com and want to ask you opinion on this Dell Inspiron Inspiron 1721. On the features tree it is the one farthest to the right, it is selling for US $969.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The X1400 isn't integrated, it'd dedicated, and you should never buy integrated graphics if you want to play games, they are positively awful. One of the most recent (GMA950) is less than half the speed of an old low-end card, the 6200SE, so the X3100 can't be that great, since it's intel (not ATi as you might suspect).

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The X1400 isn't integrated, it'd dedicated, and you should never buy integrated graphics if you want to play games, they are positively awful. One of the most recent (GMA950) is less than half the speed of an old low-end card, the 6200SE, so the X3100 can't be that great, since it's intel (not ATi as you might suspect).

11. RickyMan

RickyMan Regular member

okay im sorry i researched and i found out macs arent fer gaming sorry its what this dummy told me at bestbuy

yha i recomend a dell

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol you believed someone at bestbuy, I bet you won't make that mistake again!

13. RickyMan

RickyMan Regular member

yah bestbuy is a good place its just not a smart place lol

14. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@sammorris

Thanks for the info. I never knew, for laptops that is, that there was a naming difference between motherboard based video chipsets like intels and chips from ati and the like on the board.