1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on a new stick of RAM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Balaam, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Hi all, I'm gonna put a new stick of ram in my sony vaio 3 ghz p4 PC, and just want to get some advice on which I should go with. The sticker on the side on my tower says I have one 512 pc-2700 3333mhz ddr stick. Newegg has several choices within my budget, so let me know what you guys think:
    Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-2100, Model RW266/51
    Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700
    Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
    Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
    Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC3200, Model RW400/512
    Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700, Model RW333/512

all under $50. I await your knowledgable opinions with bated breath.

2. haimback

haimback Regular member

Hi Balaam
    The memory you buy isnt going to run any faster than the stuff you have in there already (assuming your running them together and not replacing the current stick).
    Out of the list you gave i would go with Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700
    Kingston have a got a not bad name and prices are good.

3. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

are you gona replace your old stix, or add on to it,, if you are going to add on to it,, it is wise to get the same brand..

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I'm gonna add on. Is it important to get the same brand, or just make sure I match up the pc-2700 that's in there with a new one that's alost pc-2700?

5. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

the name brand is not really a big deal, it's more important when adding a stick of ram to make sure the timing is the same for both, or in my case, 4 sticks~

if those are what you are choosing from balaam, i would agree w/haimback to go with the kingston, i am weary of rosewill since i've had quite a few DDRs go bad from them within 3 months (personally i ONLY use Mushkin Enhanced memory now, but, they are very expensive). definitely DON'T go down in clock speed, if your sony is at 2700 now, DO NOT go down to pc-2100, or mismatch the one you have currently with a pc-3200. most importantly, unless you are going to buy 2 of these sticks, just match the pc-xxxx speed with your current memory stick now. hope that helps, i build computers as both a hobby and as an extra income, so, i know my hardware inside and out w/ over 300+ computers build to date. hope that clarifies a bit.

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

It certainly does. Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, do you think I'd notice any appreciable upgrade in whatever if I decided to get 2 sticks of pc-3200 to replace my one pc-2700? I don't exactly use or need much computing power now, but I could very well have a need for it in the future. It all depends on whether and how soon I over come my oppressive laziness and start messing around with the several graphics and sound proggies I have laying around. As you can probably tell, I don't have the money or motivation to do it right, but I'd consider shelling out the dough if people think it would make a noticeable difference.
    Thanks again for all your responses.

7. haimback

haimback Regular member

Hi again Balaam,
    well it's really up to you if you want to pay that bit extra, you will notice the difference with the faster RAM but it means you will need to buy two sticks.The actual cost of pc2700 and 3200 is roughly the same but as i said you would have to buy 2 sticks of pc3200.If you are willing to spend a little bit more i would highly recommend going with crucial - bit more expensive but it's quality stuff and you get lifetime warranty.
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/promo/index.asp?prog=desktop2
    There's a load of info on memory timmings etc. on that site aswel so worth having a look.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what does the bus speed of your motherboard go upto for ram because if 333 & you get 400, the ram will run as 333 not 400 so just get another stick with same 333mhz

9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

ddp beat me to it :) yeah, you need to find out what the mobo bus speed is, there really is no point to shell out more money for the pc-3200 (2 sticks) if your computer will only support the pc-2700 to begin with. with that in mind, then a single 512mb of the pc-2700 will suffice. if your mobo can support higher clock speeds, then sure you might notice a significant difference in speed if you purchase the 2 pc-3200s. i currently have 4 gigs of Mushkin pc-3200 level 2s in my rig, i know it's excessive, but i know i will NEVER need an upgrade~ :) but yes, find out what maximum clock speed is for your particular motherboard and what speed ram memory it can take, then the choice will be yours~ have a good one~