1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need advice: which is best: r4 vs m3 vs supercard vs ezflash v

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by bj02454, May 8, 2007.

1. bj02454

bj02454 Member

Hey, I'm looking to get a DS microsd-type card so I can put all my games on at once. I also am interested in future compatibility with the NDS browser (either by using an expansion card with the official gba slot thing or by getting an expansion that includes a rumble/gba slot thing like the ezflash v).
    what's the difference between different m3 models, too? (simply/perfect/pro)
    My friend has the r4 which is great; does the m3, supercard or ezflash have anything the r4 doesn't have? Also, is the r4 compatible with any gba slot accessories to give me rumble and browser support (like the ezflash v combo set)? Can the r4 run the nds browser without having the gba slot expansion in?

r4ds pack (what my friend has):
    http://revolution-sales.com/r4-revolution-for-ds-p-1396.html
    ezflash bundle (does anyone have an ezflash and like it?):
    http://www.modmyds.com/ez-flash-v-bundle-p-97.html
    ezflash expansion (will this work with an r4?):
    http://www.modmyds.com/ez-flash-3in1-expansion-pak-p-96.html

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I'll answer the questions in the order they have been asked.

M3 DS Simply:
    Slot-1 Device, can run unpatched NDS games and NDS homebrew.
    M3 Perfect (CF/SD/MiniSD/Lite):
    Slot-2 Device, can run GBA Games and GBA Homebrew, When used with a Passcard/Simply/FlashMe itr can run patched NDS games and NDS Homebrew.
    M3 Professional (MiniSD/Lite):
    Slot-2 Device, can only run GBA games and GBA Homebrew under 4MB in size, When used with a Passcard/Simply/FlashMe it can run patched NDS games and NDS Homebrew.

For only the slot-1 devices of these, no. There is nothing additional in them. The slot-2 varients of the M3, Supercard and EVFlash all have additional features (mainly GBA support) that the R4 dosn't have without additional hardware.

I think it is compatible with the EVFlash 3-1 (GBA/Rumble/RAM) device.
    EDIT:It is also compatible with the Official Nintendo RAM and Rumble packs.

Nothing can run the NDS browser without some sort of compatible slot-2 device (M3 Perfect SD/MiniSD/Lite, Supercards, EZFlash 3-1, Official RAM)

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  3. bj02454

bj02454 Member

I like the r4, then. would you recommend a particular rumble/ram card to go with it? The r4 website seems to indicate it can work with gba carts, can the r4 work with a combo card? Can the r4 play GBA games or just use rumble/ram expansions?

also, whats the cheapest rumble/ram card that works with the r4 (just to do rumble in games and have ram for the browser)? What's the cheapest that lets you play gba game backups as well as doing rumble and ram with the r4 (if possible)?

Last edited: May 8, 2007