1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Answers for WinHIIP & USB Mass Storage Device.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MystWolf, Apr 28, 2007.

1. MystWolf

MystWolf Member

This probably belongs in the PC discussion area...

My friend has an old 30-40 somewhat gig Internal Harddrive. However, its been formatted for HD Loader (PS2). I am using an accessory that allows me to us the Internal HD via a USB cord. WinHIIP is how I used to burn the games on the HD (since it detects the HD via the USB cord). However... The PC doesn't list the HD on the "My Computer" directory.

I wanna know how to format this HD via the USB cord and make it so that the PC reads the HardDrive when I go to "My Computer", I want to use this HD for transfering files from his PC to mine but it wont appear on "My Computer" (Though its detected by the PC at a "Location 0"). I'm guessing its the way that his HD is formatted since my OTHER friend also used WinHip to put games on his PC.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. Hack_Zero

Hack_Zero Regular member

It doesn't recognize the HDD, because the HDD is formatted in an environment that your computer obviously doesn't reconize, lol. It uses Linux.

3. MystWolf

MystWolf Member

Come again? lol sorry I don't know anything about the Linux OS. But... what does my Internal HD got to do with Linux? It reads on WinHIIP just not on the PC while its on the USB cable.

I know the Harddrive has been reformatted via WinHIIP in order to place Image Files on there via WinHIIP... But I just want to know how to reformat this HD so that I can use it regurlarly so I can transfer files between from my friends PC onto mine...

4. Hack_Zero

Hack_Zero Regular member

When you reformatted the HDD with WinHIIP, it turned the HDD Linusx so that the PS2 could read off of it. I have absolutly no clue how you would go about turning it into normal. Maybe download a PS2 Format Disk.

5. MystWolf

MystWolf Member

Oh, ok, well it's not like it mattered. Before I decided to reformat the HD via WinHIIP... the HDD still didn't display on the "My Computer" DIR... which is the only reason I reformatted it with WinHIIP :p

are there any applications on the internet that have similar properties to WinHIIP but solely for just... reformatting and partitioning a HD?

6. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

I know you can format a drive if the HDD is connected inside the computer, just not sure if you can via USB. Once an HDD is formated to PS2, it won't show up in My Computer, but if you go to My Computer>Control Panel (switch to classic view)>Administrative Tools>Computer Management and under Storage, click Disk Management, all of the HDD drives connected to the computer are listed to the right. Right click the drive (either in the top or bottom section) you want to format, and select Format (the default settings should be fine). Though I haven't tried through USB, it should still work.

7. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Oh yeah, a shortcut to Computer Management is Start>Run>compmgmt.msc :)

8. MystWolf

MystWolf Member

Yeah I figured this out last week lol.

I know it's a bit late but I didn't even know "Computer Management" utility existed on my computer (and i've been using PC's since the days of BBS, when people logged online via modems and ms dos... bah, anyways sorry for not clearing this up sooner).

And yeah apparently it still works via USB.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  9. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Ah, no worries :)

So it does work via USB, I'll have to remember that. I didn't even know that services.msc existed, but it does make sense as to why a computer from eMachines won't work with PNP devices LOL