1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need avi to mpeg program that can limit the size of file

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by raebie, Oct 21, 2007.

1. raebie

raebie Guest

I am looking for a converter that can convert an avi file to mpeg and also that can limit the size of the output file to about 700 or 800 mb
    If anyone knows of a program that can do this please send me a link.
    I have a few programs that can convert avi to mpeg but all of the output files turn out to big well over a gig in size that is no use please help. I have windows vista

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  2. skyhaha

skyhaha Member

How big is your avi file? And how long is the play time?
    Btw, I'm using winavi, but haven't tried to control output size before when doing the avi to mpeg conversion.

3. sad_axe

sad_axe Member

try out dvd2svcd im pretty sure u can download the software from afterdawn if u search for it. otherwise u can get it from www.dvd2svcd.com

its pretty basic and easy to use insted of inserting a dvd. just select the avi file u want to convert, its pretty long since i used it myself, so some of the hints my be dissleading but the big picture should bee the same.

the outcome is svcd or vcd mpeg-2 or mpeg-1.

it's possible 2 choose the size of the converted file. however if u want good quality svcd isnt probably enough... but check it out really simple 2 use :)

4. raebie

raebie Guest

thanks a lot i will try this program. I tell you what i am aimimg to do i have vcd gear and i want to covert my avi files into a vcd to play on my dvd player.I was wanting to convert it to mpeg first so vcd gear can change it into a bin and cue vcd file to burn to cd so i can watch the filn quick so i dont need to convert it to dvd. Any suggestions the best way to do it cause everytime i use vcd gear i get an error invalid mpeg pack size

5. sad_axe

sad_axe Member

havent done vcd or svcd backups in a wihle an i cant remember ever using vcd gear. i used to do my backups with dvd2svcd or with vcdeasy, and what i remember about vcdeasy was that i always had to check overburn control from settings before i got it 2 work properly.
    if u want 2 check vcdeasy out i suggest u find an eralier version than the one they have on ex. doom9.org / downloads because i think its turned shareware(evulation). maybe vcd gear have settings about allowing overburning, swap through settings and check then u dont have 2 change softw. one suggestion though, if ure backing up longer segments/videostream and want better picture go with svcd. if the source is xvid / divx -> mpeg4 of any kind i wouldn't suggest converting it to anything else because the source is allredy shittier than dvd qulity... (personal opinion)

6. raebie

raebie Guest

thanks everyone for all the info i will try all of these and see what works the best thanks