1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Clarification About ISO & VOB

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Esplin, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Esplin

Esplin Member

I'm afraid I'm not the most computer savy user and am a little stumped about ISO and VOB files. I'm looking to back up my DVD collection onto my hard drive in a format that has the same quality (or close to as possible anyway) as the original disc. These in particular do not need to be readily available for playback. I will also be converting a portion of these into WMV in order to be able to play them on my xbox.

Sorry for the essay, but if you're still reading I suppose the point is this: It is my understanding that ISO or VOB are used for this purpose but I'm not sure. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

When the DVD is ripped to the hard drive by the likes of DVDFab HD Decrypter,(either the main movie or the the whole disk), you can elect to save the results as an image file (ISO) or in a DVD compliant folder.
    The image is one very large file while the folder contains the movie files as separate elements.
    As an aside, I see no real need to store movie backups on a hard drive -inasmuch as I have the original in a nice plastic case, it is now the backup!