1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need clarification on using Wii and GC backups

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by socat, Dec 5, 2007.

1. socat

socat Member

I'm planning to buy a D2CKey pre-modified PAL Wii early next year and I want to make sure I know how to do everything I want to do with it safely.
    I've read a few different articles and forum threads about various problems and solutions.

Here is what I understand so far.
    I should:
    Use a high quality burner - I'll use Panasonic 115D.
    Use high quality media - I'll use Verbatim DVD-R.
    Burn at media's rated speed - I'll burn my 16X rated Verbatim DVD-Rs at 16X, not 4X or 1X.
    Use Brick Blocker on non PAL games to avoid bricking my Wii.

Is this all correct? Is there anything else important that I need to know?

I still need to find out exactly what the story is with GameCube backups on the Wii.
    I understand that they can be played, and I've heard that you can even put multiple games on one DVD, but I don't know the details.
    Any info or links to articles detailing how it is done would be appreciated.

Are there any region issues with GameCube backups on the Wii? Will my PAL Wii be able to run NTSC GC backups?

GameCube controllers can be used for GameCube games of course, but can the Wii controller be used on GameCube games?
    For example, can I use the Wii controller to aim in Metroid Prime 1 & 2 like in Metroid Prime 3?

2. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

3. socat

socat Member

According to the How to protect from Region Brick guide, having the latest firmware for your region does not guarantee your safety...

I've done a search, and I still can't find any clear info about using backups of NTSC GameCube games on a PAL Wii.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  4. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

there is nothing i have seen in writing to support this but the whole point of issuing new updates would be that each new update IS a REVISION hence will be called a later version.

i have not known a disc to be released that has a highter version update on it than is available for download from the internet

even mario galaxy only updates to 3.0 - i was already at 3.1 and had been for a few weeks when i got this

5. whacker

whacker Member

Indeed it doesn't. I had the latest update for the Wii and SMG updated it anyway. I didn't have a problem since I have the latest version of the wii-key but it can cause problems.

6. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

it doesnt update it - just goes through the motions

if u brickblock it it doesnt go through the motions and it then doesnt work at all

if u werent up to date then it goes to 3.0