1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need clear cut xeno gc related answers

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by serg3, Aug 30, 2007.

1. serg3

serg3 Member

Hi,

I was googling something for my gba and one thing led to another and i ended up reading up on the xenogc modchip. I know there are plenty of threads about this and ive read most of them, but i still cant get my head around a few things and would like some help.
    1. Will any dvd-rom (on a pc) read gc games so i can back them up?

2. The only blank media available in my area are eMax and Laser (and tdk's but read that theyre no good for gc backups) - are any of them good? (ridata 04's not exist here - cant get them)

3. Is it as straight forward as installing the modchip, possibly tweaking the potentiometer and im good to go?

4. what are the major revisions between v1 and v2? is is possible to upgrade from v1 to v2 simply/easily? can i see which one i have by looking at the surface of the chip?

Thanks for your answers in advance 0 this will help my decision on purchasing a chip.

Might ask more questions in the future.
    Cheers

2. jman242

jman242 Guest

1. Will any dvd-rom (on a pc) read gc games so i can back them up?

2. The only blank media available in my area are eMax and Laser (and tdk's but read that theyre no good for gc backups) - are any of them good? (ridata 04's not exist here - cant get them)

3. Is it as straight forward as installing the modchip, possibly tweaking the potentiometer and im good to go?

4. what are the major revisions between v1 and v2? is is possible to upgrade from v1 to v2 simply/easily? can i see which one i have by looking at the surface of the chip?
    [/quote]

1. No
    2. God invinted the internet and amazon.com (With Gore's help)
    3 and 4. Not my department

3. uou

uou Regular member

1. The only DVD-ROM drives that will read & rip Gamecube and Wii games onto your PC are the LG & GDR-8160B through 8164B drives. There is a link to the software and to search for all of these drives at once on eBay here:

Gamecube and Wii backup DVD-ROMs & RawDump

2. Any blank DVDs can work, but it is really dependant upon how well your burner works with a specific type of DVD. To find out what type of DVDs work best with your drive model, search http://club.cdfreaks.com The majority of people backing up Gamecube games have had good success with Ritek RiData G04 DVDs. Look here for a compatibility survey: http://gamecube.nqtnews.com

You can get Ritek RiData Mini DVDs with a 60 day 100% Customer Satisfaction guarantee at Meritline here:

Ritek Ridata G04 Mini DVDs 50 for $20

3. Yes, almost. You need to remove the 4 security screws first, but a simple hard platic pen case and a lighter can do that, as shown here Next, the Xeno requires six solder points. And lastly, the potentiometer should only be adjusted if your Gamecube has problems reading your backups, see here

4. XenoGC stated on their site that all XenoGC chips had been software upgraded to version 2.0. So, no matter where you get one from you should end up with version 2.0.

5. I bought the XenoGC here for $8.00 plus $3.80 shipping:

http://www.psxbox.net/product_370.html

It's also here for $6.99, but the shipping is $8.49 for me, so not as good of a deal:

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/dd-gc-xeno

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  4. serg3

serg3 Member

Hey uou,

Thanks a heap mate. Its everything i needed to know :)

Due to my location, its a little difficult to get some of the stuff, which is a little disappointing, but the links were very helpful.

Still deciding on whether or not to get one though.

Cheers buddy
    Serg3

5. uou

uou Regular member