1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need drivers for the win xp 64 bit

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mowner, Oct 6, 2004.

1. mowner

mowner Guest

hi all.
    i have amd 64 and micrsoft is offering a trial version of Windows Xp 64 bit edition so ive downloaded it and all the problem is that setup cant see my HDD. i already have drivers that let winxp see my HDD bcuz its sata but those drivers only work with 32 bit edition.. so i need the same drivers but for the 64 bit edition i did a google search didint find out if any1 can help please do it ! Thanks
    i really want to see what is 64 bit !!! what changes can it make btw??

2. gorblime

gorblime Guest

a. They may not be available, many companies won't write/distribute drivers for not released windows or older hardware. However SATA isn't that old

b. If they are available, you didn't give details that would help point you where to go.

Example: You say 64bit SATA drivers, Drivers for what hardware? Drivers are specific to specific hardware, the same way Ford engine parts won't work on General Motors or Toyota. Is it built in SATA, a Add in card, Standard or RAID?

Does your MB support IDE? It should. Go get a cheap IDE drive for booting win64bit.

Gooid Luck

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2004
  3. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

Theres a wide selection of sata drivers and the other drivers needed for the 64bit os available here,

http://www.short-media.com/download.php?dc=62

As for the changes to the 64 bit operating system, i have both the 32 bit and 64 bit os dual booting on my pc right now and i hardly ever use the 64 bit one, its basically a stripped out version of xp pro. There are very few programs out there with true 64 bit support so the potential for using it is limited, it supports a great deal of 32 bit programs but not at 100% success, the latest version of nero wont see my dvd burner for example, also as your finding out driver support is limited (i cant get a driver for my digifire sound card :().

if your determined to use the 64 bit windows i suggest you dual boot it and keep your existing 32 bit system.

4. tbird3

tbird3 Member

So how do you Dual boot? Scuse the N00b question, but I want to try this out........

5. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

How to dual boot xp and the 64 bit version (the way i do it) NOOB guide :p

Dual booting requires 2 seperate disk partitions, you have 2 options to create the second partition.

Disk partitioning with third party software can
    go wrong, read the manual for the software you are going to use, dont blame me if it screws up, i have warned you.

Option 1.
    ---------
    completely format your harddrive and reinstall both xp versions.

Option 2.
    ---------
    To keep your existing operating system you will need a third party disk partitioning software I.E. partition magic. demo available here, http://www.tucows.com/preview/222189.html
    a second 10 or 15gb partition should be fine for testing purposes.

To install both operating systems on a clean harddrive:
    -------------

Boot from the xp cd as normal.
    Push f6 at the prompt if your need to install sata or raid drivers.
    Follow the on screen instructions until you get to the windows xp setup screen, choose the "to setup windows xp now press enter" option
    Push F8 to accept the license agreement
    If you get the screen asking to repair an existing version, Push esc
    At the disk partition promt delete any existing partitions if you have any.
    When you get back to the disk partitioning screen push c to create a new partiton.
    do not let xp create the partition using the full disk size, leave enough space unpartitioned to contain the second windows install.
    Now setup xp on the newly created partition.

Ok now that you have xp up and running the way you want it, shut down your computer and boot from the xp 64 bit disk.

follow the instructions above as per the standard xp install, until you get to the disk partitioning screen,

Push C to create another partition and partition the rest of the drive, DO NOT delete any partitons you allready have.

Now continue the x64 install on the NEWLY created partition

Thats all there is to it you will get the option to choose which version to boot to when you start your machine:)

To install xp 64bit alongide an existing windows install:
    -----------------

Resize your existing partiton and create a new one with your third party partitioning software.

Boot from the xp 64bit cd and start the install the same as above to the newly created partiton.

Hope that helps

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD FX-53 2.4ghz oc'd to 2.52ghz on ASUS SK8N mobo
    1GB OCZ PC3500 dual ddr
    2X 250gb western digital SATA harddrives 8mb (RAID)2x 250gb western digital IDE harddrives 8mb (RAID)
    Pioneer DVDR 106
    ATI X800XT http://www.fixitsguide.myby.co.uk[/small]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  6. tbird3

tbird3 Member

Thanks, d00d.......... had sorted it out, but got it all on, then lost my temper with it as it kept saying I could not update Windows as I did not have administrator privileges. On phoning Microsoft for assistance, they wanted about $35 to reply...so I told them they could stick a beta test, why should I pay for the privelige of debugging their software? But thanks anyway......

7. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

Windows update is disabled on purpose on beta versions of operating systems, they release a completely updated version of the operating system every now and then.

8. tbird3

tbird3 Member

Dammit...it wasn't disabled on the SP2 beta....ah well...familiarity breeds contempt and all that........ shall give it another chance then....but it was awfully slow, and it doesn't like my Epson printer much at all.............! So this is the future, Dr Zarkov................

9. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

weird it actually runs faster than xp pro for me, as for the epson printer, I couldnt find 64 bit drivers for any epson printer at all, where did u find yours?
    i think the problem isnt so much with windows it self, hardware manufacturers dont seem to be in much of a rush to produce 64 bit drivers.

10. tbird3

tbird3 Member

I didn't...thats why it doesn't like it........ but my XPPro is pretty damn tied down and working fully, so it would have to be decent....now to try it when my 5950 turns up...mwuhahahahaaaaaaaa.