1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need expert/experienced help

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by chiefnet, Dec 26, 2002.

1. chiefnet

chiefnet Member

Ladies and Gents,

I had this question in the Newbie area but no one replied, so I probably need expert/experienced advice. Your help is appreciated. This is my situation...I had just bought a Cendyne (Pioneer-105) DVD-RW from OfficeMax. But when I tried to burn on the DVD-RW that it came with, it would only allow up to 4.489GB. It was a silver top and purplish bottom. I thought something was wrong with the hardware since it's suppose to be 4.7GB, so I exchanged it. Well, I later found the same issue with the new one. I read through the posts and still have a couple of questions:

1)In most posts it says it should read 4.3GB, but mine reads 4.5GB (not that I'm complaining), but does anyone why, and why it was 4.3 and now it's 4.5?

2) The first time I got it, the DVD-RW was silver top and purplish bottom, but the one I got when I exchanged it had a white top and a lighter purplish color. Since they seem like there were different manufacturer times, does anyone know which one would be the most current? Was there any changes to the hardware/software that anyone is aware of since they changed the DVD-RW media?

Your help is much appreciated, thank you.

2. framerman

framerman Regular member

Your DVD media SAYS 4.7 GB, but it can only burn movies to 4.36GB's. This happens after the formatting process needed for settop players to understand what's on your disc. It should record 4.7 GB's of data though if you don't format it. This happens on pretty much every disc you have. Now your dvd-rw might format the media automatically, I don't know. Mine says 4.36 every disc I put in it. Blanks or formatted, doesn't matter. I can't believe that you would actually have 4.5 though, doesn't sound right to me. The colors I don't think really matter. I think it's just a dye they use in processing. Mine are mostly black. Some are purple.

3. chiefnet

chiefnet Member

Thanks Framerman. Yea, I'm not really sure why it's 4.5 (4.489 actually), when everyone says it should be around 4.3.
    Yea, I wasn't sure if they had updated anything on th ehardware side since they changed the DVD-RW media. But if no ones heard of any changes that's good. I wouldn't want to have exchanged the drive for a a drive that is older and has problems, you know. Thanks again.

4. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

Never mind what I posted here earlier... it seemed I got all things figured out before the experts answered. Like what they all said, "You want things done... fast, do them yourself."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2002
  5. framerman

framerman Regular member

First off omegaboy, you need to start your own thread instead of at the end of someone elses. This way you will be sure that people actually see what it is that you want. Second, I've already seen your thread, which is an exact copy of what you wrote here. Post it once and wait. Do not cross thread or you will be banned. If it's a newbie question, people will know. If it's something that legitimately belongs here, then someone will answer. Be patient, investigate, and search the other threads that people have put here. 99 times out of a hundred a newbie question has already been answered.

6. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

Calm down, framerman. There's no need to threatened me like that. This is a friendly forum isn't it?
    By the way, if you right click on the DVDRW drive in my computer (with your DVDRW blank disc in the DVDRW drive), choose properties, you'll then see the DVDRW disc capacity is 4,706,074,624 bytes (computer's calculation which is 1 KByte = 1024 bytes). It shows 4.38 GB is like a short, faster way of calculation, human way (1kb = 1000 bytes).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2002
  7. framerman

framerman Regular member

It is a friendly forum. I'm not threatening, it's what is posted in the forum rules. You read those, right?

8. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

eh... nope! Sometimes I like to skip the boring introduction and get to the main features, hehehe!!!!