1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED EXPERT HELP!!! Im a bleepin' amateur

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by EBZ, Nov 18, 2004.

1. EBZ

EBZ Guest

Im new at this have had my Plextor 2days and cant seem to burn a DVD-R.

Ive used dvdshrink to backup the movie I want to my hard drive but when I go to open the TS file it appears empty??? I also have DVDdecrypter and I run into a similar problem, once I have the file saved to my hard drive I dont know how to burn that onto a DVD-R.

Plextor came with Roxio software should I be using that? (I cant seem to add the TS media to create with Roxio) Ive heard about Nero..is that better and if so where can I download it free? Or is there anoth program or process I need to do???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Let's keep the thread titles clean shall we?

Which TS folder are you opening? The AUDIO_TS folder will be empty but the VIDEO_TS folder should contain IFO, BUP and VOB files.

I'd suggest getting rid of the Roxio software since it doesn't play well with other apps. Nero is an outstanding burning suite but it's not free. If you want a free solution to burn your files through Shrink then install DVD Decrypter.

3. EBZ

EBZ Guest

Sorry about the profanity. I opened both and both are empty. Also I have DVD decrypter just not exactly sure how to burn to a dvd from my hard drive with it, ive read you guide and when i go to locate the TS file on my HD ist empty??? Also cant you nurn using dvd shrink? And one more question with dvdshrink do I choose the image function?

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

EBZ,

There is no need to open decrypter or write to your hard drive with shrink. It will automatically burn with decrypter and you don't even have to touch it.

Here is a simple, easy to follow, basic Shrink 3.2 guide I wrote. You should have a fully functional working backup when done. Before you get started a couple of items of interest:

No.1- Make sure you get good media, this is extremely important! You can get Ritek G04 4x or G05 8x -R or get Ritek Ridata 4x +R here, for under .50 each and w/ free shipping. Make sure they are "branded" and never burn at over 4x!

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

No.2- Also, before you get started, Shrink will automatically open nero or Decrypter to burn so you don't have to open them, however you do have to choose your burner in decrypter if you haven't already....

For Decrypter:

Open decrypter, click on mode, drop down to ISO, across to write and then click on it. Then at the bottom choose your burner you want Decrypter to use.

That's it, close Decrypter, you don't have to open Decrypter anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's the shrink guide, follow it to the letter, it's fairly simple:

1-open shrink

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below. There is a drop down window on the top right side that has your compression and substitute options.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with Nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of Nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

Good luck :>)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. EBZ

EBZ Guest

Bigorange,

I really appreciate your assistance, this can be frustrating when your a novis like me. I have a few more questions I was hoping you could shed some light on.

1. At the begining of your guide when you refer to compression and still image, what does that do and is still image the default if not what is?

2. When you refer to quality settings if its over 10% compression what does that mean exactly, the percentage of compression? And what is a good % to aim for?

3. also what does deep analysis and adaptive error comp. do?

4. Waht if the size of the movie is larger than 4.7g, then what?

5. Should I remove Roxio easy media creater 7 that came with the Plextor?

and last, I think i successfuly burned a dvd MAn on fire, it plays in my computer but not on either of my dvd players, its sony brand media...what are your thoughts?

Sorry i have soo many questions, i really do appreciate you sharing your knowlegde. -EBZ

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

At the begining of your guide when you refer to compression and still image, what does that do and is still image the default if not what is?

Still image allows you to remove that particular extra by substituting a still image and retain an operating menu.

Compression allows you to raise compression on that particular extra thereby reducing compression on your movie(thus maintaining it's quality) and yet still keep that extra.

There is no default per se, except whatever you have after shrink analyzes the source video.

When you refer to quality settings if its over 10% compression what does that mean exactly, the percentage of compression? And what is a good % to aim for?

Quality settings is under the quality settings tab in the backup DVD window that appears after you hit the backup button in shrink when you have finished editing and/or changing your compressions on your extras.

There is a deep analysis setting and an Adaptive Error Compensation setting (AEC). I recommend using both these setting if you use more than 10% compression on your movie.

3. also what does deep analysis and adaptive error comp. do?

deep analysis performs two passes while AEC has 4
    shrink settings:

"Maximum Sharpness" will try and reach DVD Shrink target size by compressing B-frames almost to their maximum compressability (as measured by DVD Shrink analysis). If the target size cannot be reached, it will then start compressing P-frames, followed by I-frames.

"Maximum Smoothness" will try and reach the target size by spreading compression more evenly between frame types.

"Sharp" and "Smooth" are gradual variations ("in-betweens"), lowering the threshold at which I-frames and P-frames start to be compressed.

In all settings, an error-correction algorithm is used, so as to minimize the propagation of errors between frames

I prefer max smoothness overall in most cases, but that's just my preference. Everyone is different on this.

Waht if the size of the movie is larger than 4.7g, then what?

That's the reason for doing all this, if it's under 4.7(actually 4.37) you do a direct 1 to 1 copy, there is no need for editing or compressing.

Should I remove Roxio easy media creater 7 that came with the Plextor?

Most definitely IMHO.

I think i successfuly burned a dvd MAn on fire, it plays in my computer but not on either of my dvd players, its sony brand media...what are your thoughts?

Your player's compatibility of what media it plays must match the media compatibility of what you are using to burn on. +R, -R, +RW, -RW, etc. Most of the newer players play all formats, but not true with older models.

The best way to learn is to do. Play around with it, use RW media til you get the process down. here is a good site to check your player's compatibility and anything else concerning DVD.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Good luck :>)

7. brobear

brobear Guest

EBZ
    It seems you need to spend a little more time with the guides and working with the apps and then ask specific questions. You just got the guided tour of how everything works. There are some nice guides with pictures at http://www.dvdshrink.info/ . You'll also find some good guides on DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink at http://www.Doom9.org . You have to learn the controls before you can make things function properly. For instance, once you have a file on the HD (hard drive), it is a different set of controls to open that than opening the files from a DVD. Also, it's a different process when dealing with ISO files.

Also it seems you're a bit foggy on what the apps actually do. DVD Decrypter is a decrypter/ripper and a burner (2 different functions). Shrink is a transcoding app that is capable of decrypting/ripping and can rip to the HD as well as use temp files to burn a DVD.

There is some disagreement on removing Roxio from a system. The packet writing software included in the software suite is the known problem causer with DVD recording. Exiting Drag to Disk is usually sufficient (close it off the taskbar). Nero is a better burning suite and the Platinum series contains Recode2 (another good DVD transcoding/recording app). Even with Nero, you have to remove the packet writing app, InCD. With InCD it has to be removed or just not loaded with a new setup. [bold]Big Point being, packet writing software is bad news where DVD recording is being done.[/bold] I'll also point out that I have a lot of RAM and Hard Drive space to accomodate the large collection of software programs, along with a relatively fast CPU.

I have Roxio as well as Nero and a large number of recording apps and utilities. They all play well together. I just don't leave on packet writing apps and I don't try running several apps at once that will interfere with each other.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004
  8. brobear

brobear Guest

Here is some info on how the DVD recording process goes, since you are a beginner. It may help you understand what is going on.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember. The steps are 1)Decrypt/deCSS; 2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary); and 3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. You may want to remember with DVD Shrink, you only have 3 options, Nero, DVD Decrypter in ISO write mode, and CopyToDVD (using Blindwrite); with Nero being the default.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004