1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help adding subtitles to a divx file

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by assassin8, Apr 24, 2005.

1. assassin8

assassin8 Member

hi, i have an avi file with japanese audio and have the srt files which have the subs, but i dont know how to add the subtitles to the avi file, anyone's help would be appreciated.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you want a .divx file. Use fuse to mux the subs. To mux subs into an avi, use AVIMuxGUI.

3. eLiguL

eLiguL Member

I also would like to know how to add subtitles into an xvid file. If someone can give me a link to a tutorial or step by step guide that would be great. I have no idea what muxing is or how to do it so a guide would be much appreciated.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If you just need to watch the subtitles while you're playing the movie on your PC, use BSPlayer. It will load the subtitle's file and will show it on the PC screen.
    If you need to encode permenent subtitles on a movie, so you can make a (S)VCD movie with that movie which has permanent subtitles encoded, PM me an e-mail address capable to receive 3 MB attachments and I'll send you a full detailed guide for this.
    Alas, I don't know to insert a movie and its subtitle into a DVD so that a movie played on the DVD can load the subtitle from the DVD (like it happens on the original DVDs), instead...try reading http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/ , instead.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Depends what you mean by "xvid file". Stricktly speaking I guess it would mean a raw XviD stream. XviD can be stored in numerous different containers, along with audio and subs.

6. eLiguL

eLiguL Member

The file I have ends in .avi (tlf-kfh.avi) I have both a .srt subtitle file and a .sub file.

I know its an xvid file because the files name when it was in rar form was "Kung.Fu.Hustle.2004.DVDRip.XViD.RETAiL-TLF". As for containers or whatever I dont know how to check that but the propertires for it (when I right click) is as follows.

Width - 640 pixels
    Height - 256 pixels

Audio

Bitrate - 129 kbps
    Audio format - MPEG Layer-3

Video

Frame rate - 23 frames/second
    Data rate - 120kbps

Now with all that out of the way this is what I want to do. I have a avi player in the living room. I would like to burn this movie to a cd but unfortunately it is not subbed. All I want to do is add subs to the video then simple burn it on a cd and watch it in the livingroom. I dont like s/vcd because it requires at least 2 disc for decent quality.

If someone can provide me with a Tutorial and a list of programs needed to do what I stated that would be appreciated.

7. roxxiiees

roxxiiees Member

HEY. urm... problemo people.
    i can play my subs on a DIVX subtitle player i know, but how do i convert them so that they are compatible in media player and then, for my avi file to be later on converted to VCD with my subs in it as well?

i was sprucing through all the guides and did as told until i came to the part about adding vobsub as a video filter.
    so i did that but then i couldn't open my sub file (.srt format) in the next dialogue box. AARRGHH! *pulls hair*

yup..*regains composure* and so.. problem!
    [bold]celtic_d[/bold] did mention something about muxing the subs.
    hopefully someone can explain to me what's all that about yea? PLEASE?!!

thanks!

8. assassin8

assassin8 Member

this is the problem i am also having, i want to be able to play the movie on a stand alone dvd player, i have the avi file, and the srt file and need to be able to put these together, and so far havent been able to do it, need help

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Depends on the player, but just burning them together should work. Guess maybe not all players support external subs though. Works fine here.

10. assassin8

assassin8 Member

i have another question, i have another avi file and have managed to sync the subs and the video files together but cant seem to save the end video file, i can only save the edited sub file, i want to save the edited avi file as i want to watch the film on a stand alone dvd player, appreciate any help

11. roxxiiees

roxxiiees Member

thanks for replying but if lets say i want to be able to play the cd-rw on the television.
    doesn't that require me to join the sub files together with my avi?
    how do i do that? i still can't seem to figure out the sub mux function on vobsub!!

confused rox

12. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

My Philips 720 SA is supposed to play subs. Also external subs. Does the sub need to have the exact same name as the avi file? What if I have 2 languages (2 sub files) for the same avi file. Can I use them both?
    The manual of Philips says the player can play .srt, .smi, .sub . But how can I convert from .srt to .sub for example?

My avi files are XivD, others are DivX.

13. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

No point in converting from srt to sub as in this case I would assume that they mena the text format .sub and not vobsub (idx/sub).

Yeah, name the same or for multiple files. movie.fr.srt, movie.eng.srt, etc. is I believe supposed to work along with move.01.srt or something to that effect. You might want to use a re-writable to check.

14. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

@ celtic_d:
    thanks, it does work. I used movie.eng.srt, movie.fr.srt successfully. Have to find out what german is. It's not ger. Maybe deu. Also tried movie.01.srt, movie.02.srt, movie.03.srt. Works, too, but the first method tells me the language right away. That's really nice.
    Also found a little freeware (SRTtoSUB v.11) that converts srt-subs to .sub. Works fine, too.
    The player doesn't like .ass, .smi or .ssa although it's supposed to. So I stay away from that and use some software to convert it, if I can't get .srt or .sub.

I also use modified software for my Philips DVP 720 SA from Laza. New styled file browser (very nice!), background picture and improved DivX subtitles.