1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help adding to burners to 1 system

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by toostrike, Aug 23, 2004.

1. toostrike

toostrike Guest

I went online to Dell’s website to order a custom Dimension 8400.These are the main specs

Pentium 4 processor 3Ghz,s3808h 800FSB
    1GB Dual Channel Ddr2 SDRAM at 400Mhz
    Video-128mb PCI Express x16 (dvi/vga/tv-out)Radeon x300SE
    160GB HD (7200rpm)
    16x dvd rom

Dell’s customer service is a joke unless you want to talk to someone from India,but I like how there web site is set up making a custom pc.After I added some more custom features(ie)wireless keyboard&mouse,5.1 channel integrated audio system with a sub,and some other minor additions,the purchase price was about 1200 dollars.

Here is the situation

1.I only ordered (1)16x dvd rom as far as drives are concerned for this pc.I am going to buy a new
    Plextor PX-712SA dvd burner(a nice dual format dvd drive under $150.)for a second drive,and lastly a HP CDR Writer for a 3rd drive I know the Plextor can handle both types of media for burning(dvd and cdr),so your probabably wondering why I would add anther cd burner.I burn a lot of cdr’s and plan on burning a lot of dvd’s ,so I want to split the work instead of burning all that media with on burner.

My Question

You can only have 4 IDE devices hooked up to your pc unless you get a expansion card.I only have 4 IDE devices to hook up so I should be ok in that respect,but I still have to deal with 2 separate burners on the same pc.On the primary channel I will have the hard drive connected as the master,and the cdr writer as the slave on this same channel.On the secondary channel I will set the dvd rom up as the master,and the dvd burner as the slave.DOES THAT SOUND CORRECT?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Put them the other way around. The burner is best set to master since keeping the burner fed with data is much more critical than simply reading from a disc. Other than that you've got things set up just fine.

Very smart choice passing on the Dell supplied burner. The Teac W58 they've been known to use is a piece of junk whereas the Plextor 712A is an outstanding burner that should serve you quite well :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Some would say it's not recommended you put a burner on the same ide cable as your HD. You could add a ide controller card or get a external cd writer or put the cd writer in an external enclosure.