1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help after mod chip install - red light

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dlinkmon, Feb 19, 2004.

1. dlinkmon

dlinkmon Member

I just installed a MagicV 50k in my V9 PS2. When I turn the system on, the reset light is red and stays red. If I press reset, it flashes green for an instant, the back to red. The drive will not open when I press eject, and I notice the fan is not spinning.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

2. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

It almost seems as if your RST connection is faulty or soldered incorrectly.

3. dlinkmon

dlinkmon Member

That makes sense, so I just looked at that connection, and it seemed okay but I re-soldered it just in case. Same results. The light stays red and only turns green for a second when the reset or eject light is pressed.

4. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Its really tough to say. Do a good once over and see if you can find anything on your own. Also look for bridges on the chip itself, they are common and hard to trace.

If you can't come up with any answers, I'll do an inquiry for you as a favour.

5. dlinkmon

dlinkmon Member

Okay,

I went through all the connections once more, making sure everything was clean. Just to be extra sure, I even redid two of the really nasty ones on the back of the board. Still no good. My chip supplier said it's either a short or I did some damage.

The only other idea I have is that there was some solder on the top of the chip's legs near the F and G connections. I assumed I dripped this and removed all of it with copper braid. I now notice on the website modchip.ca, that there is some solder on the legs that is there intentionally and should not be removed. I'm wondering if this was what I took off.

Well, any info you could offer would be greatly appreciated. At this point, my only other option is to send it to a mod company and pay them to try to get it working. (I chipped four PS Ones back in the day, and they were nothing compared to this.)

6. dlinkmon

dlinkmon Member

I had someone look at it who's a bit more advanced in soldering than I, and now it works. I think some of my connections weren't so hot. It sometimes takes a few resets to boot a backup, but I guess that's normal, though I try some different media.

Thanks again for you help!