1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help backing up a newer, pre-viewed movie and Shrink isn't working

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nlm1976, Jan 22, 2007.

1. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

So here's what's going on....
    I bought a used DVD at Blockbuster (50 First Dates) and it's got some mild scratching on the disc, it will play in the player, but Shrink won't read it. I tried DVD Decrypter and same problem...it goes so far and then gets stuck. I bought this program a while back called Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum 4 so that I could put my DVDs onto my iPod. It's also got an option for 'DVD-Video Format (*.vob)' and I thought maybe I could rip this DVD using that program and transfer it into Shrink to burn. Well...it worked but I can't get Shrink to read the format...the icon that it shows is the Nero Showtime icon (I hate that program by the way and never use it so don't know why it defaults to it on my machind!) Anyone have any suggestions on how I can convert it to a format that Shrink will be able to read so I can finish the process?
    Thanks!

2. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

3. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I've never used that program b4. I can try it. Is it a free trial thing or is it freeware?

4. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

its freeware

its the main one i use

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  5. BludRayne

BludRayne Member

Yes, dvdfabdecrypter is an awesome program. If that doesn't work, use RipItForMe, it uses dvddecrypter to rip, and also does a fine job. But if your dvd is scratched bad, you'll need to fix that problem first.

6. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

On that link you sent me, there is also a link to download "Free DVD" What is that? Should I try that too?? Just curious if it's something you find helpful as well.

7. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

Unfortunately, I'm not getting anywhere with DVDFab. It's giving me a read error about 1/2 way through also. Oh well...guess I'll have to take the disc somewhere to get the scratches buffed out and then try again.

8. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

nlm1976
    i had a bad disc that when using fab it took forever and use 100% cpu resources.thats the only time dvd fab has let me down.

when you try to use dvd decrypter tools/setting/i/o tab bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This helps with some defective discs

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007