1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help backing up "Green Chair" DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by randwill, Nov 25, 2007.

1. randwill

randwill Member

I am finding it impossible to back up the DVD "Green Chair". I've tried CloneDVD2 2.9.0.1 with AnyDVD 6.2.0.1. I tried DVDShrink by itself. I tried RipIt4Me with DVDFab Platinum 4.0.1.2 then tried to run it thru DVDShrink but Shrink craps out in the encoding. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. gamename

gamename Regular member

try using dvdfabhddecrypter, then pull up file with shrink or recode. make sure u have plenty of hardrive space(atleast20gb), and enough ram(atleast256).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  3. randwill

randwill Member

Is "dvdfabhddecrypter" the same as DVDFab Platinum 4.0.1.2? I can't find anything else called just "dvdfabhddecrypter".

When I try to backup the files created by DVDFab Platinum 4.0.1.2 using DVDShrink 3.2, DVDShrink craps out at around 10% of the encoding. The Encoding box just disappears.

Before starting the encoding I noted it said; Space required: 4,464 MB. Space available: 107,942 MB. So that's not the problem.

The VOB files that DVDFab creates will play fine using ALShow player, so the information is there.

4. randwill

randwill Member

I still need help with this DVD. Never had so much trouble with one before.

I tried using DVDFab Platinum 4.0.1.2 using "Full Disc". Next I opened Nero Recode 2 CE and used "Recode DVDs and Videos to Nero Digital". I imported the files DVDFab created under "Nero Digital Titles". I left "Fit to target:" checked. Then I selected "DVD-5 (4.7 GB)". This is when I noticed, right below there, in the "Total size" box that the files are only 3,518 MB. So I know something's wrong. But I let it run and burn the disc anyway.

The resulting DVD, when put in a DVD player, first produces a menu, generated, I assume, by Nero, but nothing will actually play. The movie is on there in some form as the files will play on the computer using ALShow player, but the object here is to back-up the DVD with a DVD that will work in a DVD player.

So, I need some advice on using these programs I have tried, if anyone thinks they will ever work to back up this DVD, or suggestions for programs that will work where these have all failed.

Thank you again.

5. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

maybe your DVD software is no good. Or you are using bad media. Try this:

Rip with DVDFab Platinum and do the whole disc
    Use DVD Shrink and create an ISO file
    Burn with ImgBurn

If you need lots of compression, use VobBlanker to blank out any previews and extras that you do not want. Also, use Menushrink to "still" the menus. This would be after you rip with DVDFab. After that you would proceed with DVD Shrink and ImgBurn.

If this does not work, then try burning at a slower speed (4x). If it still doesn't work, invest in new media. Try Verbatim or if you shop online, Taiyo Yuden.

6. willyloma

willyloma Member

It can be done, but the result is a re-authoring, not the full DVD.
    I tried every combination of programs imaginable and this DVD simply wouldn't shrink.
    You can back it up just fine--decrypt it, copy it to your hard drive, etc. using any of the decrypting tools. You just can't shrink it and burn it onto a single layer DVD. I've tried DVD Shrink and Nero Recode on folders created with DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD, ISOBuster--everything.
    BUT, use CloneDVDMobile to convert it into a DivX file (.avi) and then use ConvertXtoDVD to convert it back to a DVD.
    It's not even a good movie, but I just couldn't let it beat me...

7. randwill

randwill Member

Thanks for the reply. I gave up on this one but it's good to know there is a way to sort of do it. I hope the other DVD manufacturers don't find out whatever the makers of this one know how to do. It would put an end to backing up DVDs.

8. willyloma

willyloma Member

I notice we're both newbies on here--surely one of these pros or senior members can figure out how to shrink this DVD quickly and easily. Maybe one of them will rent it and give it a try. I'd be interested to know if we're overlooking something simple--don't think so, but anything's possible.

9. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Have you updated DVDFab Decrypter.
    Or tried any other Programs (ripit)

Did you Try Jag's Suggestion?

10. randwill

randwill Member

I got as far as the last step of Jag's suggestion. ImageBurn, which I had never used before, could see my burner but could not see the blank media was in my burner, so I said to heck with it.

I used DVDFab Platinum 4.0.1.2.

I did not try ripit.

11. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

12. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

ImgBurn is not mandatory, just it is my favorite burning engine. I set up DVD Shrink to launch ImgBurn automatically after compression. This way, I can do things over night, or while I am gone...but any good burning application will do the trick once you have an ISO file. Oh, and if ImgBurn is having a hard time seeing your blank media, then maybe the media is of bad quality. Try using a better brand like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  13. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  14. randwill

randwill Member

Maybe I'll give this DVD another shot with an updated version of DVD Fab. But;

1. I always burn at 2x.

2. I have approximately 1,300 home burned DVDs and 4 DVD players (an Oppo, a Phillips DVD 642 and a couple of Sonys) and all of them will play on the Oppo and Phillips and most on the Sonys.

3. I was using DVD-R for "The Green Chair".

4. All the failed discs on this project were brand new, clean Maxells that always work fine for me. No scratches or visible flaws.

5. See #4.

6. I'll look into this but I've got about 1,300 discs here that work fine so...

To clarify the Nero Recode experiment result, I got a Nero Recode generated menu (not the DVDs own menu) when I placed this disc in the DVD players but there was no way I could access the movie. When the same disc was placed in the computer, I could drag VOB files into ALShow and they would play, thus confirming they existed on the disc, but there was still no way to play the movie from the menu.

15. willyloma

willyloma Member

My problem with this DVD isn't burning it, it's shrinking it. I can burn it all day long onto an 8.5GB DL disk since the DVDs only around 6.5GB, but there isn't a single "shrink" program that will work on it. Nero Recode does nothing--gets to 3% analyzing and then quits. DVD Shrink will sometimes stall at 93% analyzing and sometimes it'll go all the way to 100% recoding and then lock up but neither program will finish the job. As I said earlier, the only way I could get this movie onto a single layer DVD was to convert it to DivX and then convert the DivX to DVD. I've shrunk more than 1,000 DVDs and this is the first one that I just can't get to cooperate.

16. randwill

randwill Member

I thought maybe I had a defective factory disc of "The Green Chair" and THAT was the reason nothing I tried would work. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who couldn't make it work no matter what.

I too would like to see some of the more experienced members here try and tackle this one. Especially anybody who has never met a DVD they couldn't shrink. If you can crack this one and tell us how you did it, it would be appreciated. There's nudity, if that's any incentive!

17. willyloma

willyloma Member

I copied both the Video and Audio folders to my hard drive and then burnt a perfect copy of the entire DVD on a Verbatim DVD+R DL (8.5GB capacity) using Nero Express. Then, for kicks, I tried to shrink the copy. Neither DVDShrink or Nero Recode 2 were having any of it. DVD Shrink quit at around 33% analyzing and Nero Recode quit at 2% analyzing. I think it was probably unintentional by the manufacturer but they've inadvertently come up with a shrink-proof DVD.

18. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I know this post JaguarGod (Senior Member) 27. November 2007 @ 20:54 mentioned running VobBlanker. Has anyone used it, if only to select the movie as source file, and then select an output folder and press process? Anyone try FixVts?

19. willyloma

willyloma Member

Tried FixVTS and had high hopes for it when DVD Shrink finished analyzing, but when it started to recode, it simply vanished. It was still running according to Windows Task Manager, but even though it was using 99% of the processor, it wasn't doing anything--and I let it go for an hour--still no files recoded. Nero Recode couldn't handle it, either. I tried VobBlanker, too--and even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing, the resulting files wouldn't shrink. I told it to do the menu "still". I've been at this DVD for 3 days non-stop and can't figure it out to save my life. I've got it copied onto a DVD9 with no problem, but I just can't let it beat me!!!

20. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

theres a new anydvd v6.3.0.3