1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help bigtime!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hoots69, Sep 9, 2004.

1. hoots69

hoots69 Guest

this is how it stands: I'm a fresh newb at trying to burn a dvd, and i so far have downloaded dvd shrink successfully. nero v.6 needed a serial # and was expired for using the demo version. could someone explain the process to me, like u back up the dvd to your hardrive with DVD SHRINK then burn with NERO???? and could someone please send me some links for a free tool for burning dvd's, at least one that works for sure. Is dvd decrypter a burning tool?
    All I want to do is take a dvd and dupe it, and i really need some suggestions and this site is has been alot of help and has got me started. Sorry about double posting:(

2. hoots69

hoots69 Guest

I downloaded dvd decrypter and i go to write the dvd and it prompts to open, i select the movie and i go to c: select the movie and there are two folders :
    audio ts and video ts. and it still prompts me to open, but after that u can't open anymore. how do i get started on the writing process?

3. datageek

datageek Member

First off, have you downloaded or read the DVD Decrypter guide? DVD Shrink? These are the two main pieces of software for a newbie and where the first one's that I down loaded and use. Well, let's say that you have prep'd your PC, have the latest firmware, lots of room on the HD, memory and a fairly fast processor , a burner and a rom drive. If your movie is a DVD 5 then you can just use DVD Decrypter to rip and burn. Just follow the guide http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr_page_2.cfm, but in a nut shell - load your movie in your Rom, click on the top pull-down to find the movie on that drive, go into MODE across the top bar and select [bold]ISO Read[/bold], click on the disc on the bottom and just sit back and wait till it's done. Then go back up to Mode and select [bold]ISO Write[/bold] and make sure the target drive is listed near the bottom pull down window, then click on the hard drive sysmbol to write (burn). Now is the time to walk away and not touch the PC till it's done. Now if it's a DVD 9 then you'll have to use DVD Shrink. Then you'll need this guide http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

You don't necessarily need Nero to burn as you can do that in Shrink. I happen to buy Nero 6 and got a $30 rebate - so it just cost $20 bucks.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD 1500, 120gb WD HD w/NTFS, 512k, Pioneer AO7 w/flashed firmware, BTC 16x DVD rom
    DVD Decrypter 3.2.30, DVD Shrink 3.2.15, Nero 6.3 w/paks 1,2&4,[/small]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  4. bluto1940

bluto1940 Guest

5. zippyd

zippyd Active member

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

Try this guide. It's for version 3.1 but the are almost identical so it should work just fine for you.

Decrypter can only burn an ISO image. When you click on backup in shrink and the window pops up, under select backup target select "ISO Image File and Burn with decryptor".

Also... you might want to try using RW disks in case you mess up the first few times. Saves a little money that way.

6. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

Simple DVD Backup Steps

First create a folder for your HD backup. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work).

Next download DVD Decrypter (link below) and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says, “verify”. Where it says, “source”, you’ll leave that blank, as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter; DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

The link for the newest DVD Decrypter -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download DVD Shrink (link below). Open it and click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “Target DVD Size” as custom and set the size to 4360MB - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn’t too large. Then under the “File I/O” tab un-tick “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

The link for the newest DVD Shrink -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive. (Many people suggest using Ritek G04, Verbatim or media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is definitely not the time to put your cheap stuff in, although there are a lot of people that have success with the cheaper media including myself, however I am currently using Ritek Ridata, which you can get for approx. .35 - .39 each (+R).)

Click on “Open Disk”.

Before you rip with Shrink, you have the option of selecting “Full Disk” or selecting “Re-author“. Most of the time before I rip with Shrink, I select re-author and then double-click on the Main Movie (usually Title 1). This moves over only the main movie to the left to be ripped. I don't even bother with the menus, as you can still select chapters with your player.

Now, click on “Backup!”. Take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select backup target” once there, select “ISO image file and burn with DVD Decrypter”. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder (i.e. C:/All DVD Work) for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.

P.S. You will find it easy if you place a shortcut on your desktop for “All DVD Work”. This way you can open it and empty it often as the movies stay there, in case you need to backup again. However the more you keep in there, the quicker you run out of HD space.

Also don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s backing up, including turning off anti-virus, screen savers, and all other programs that might be running in the background.

Good Luck