1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help burning an avi file.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TheElf1, May 6, 2011.

1. TheElf1

TheElf1 Member

Ok, I have done this many, many times and never had this problem. I have checked the movie on my computer a bunch of times. The entire movie is there. BUT when I burn it, I only get half the movie on the disk. No It's not too large to fit. It is a straight avi file. I have redownloaded it about 4 times now and wasted 4 disks trying to get the entire movie.

What the heck am I doing wrong with this one? Is there some kind of a block on the movie that won't let it burn all the way? I have never heard of that, not even on Disney movies (and we all know how protected they are).

Can anyone give me a clue here?

Hugs to all,
    The Elf

2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Are you trying to burn an avi file to a DVD or encode an avi file into DVD format?

I've found that most errors are caused by bad media, bad hardware or burning at a non-optimum speed. I generally stick with 4x on DVDs and I only use Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+/-R.

Maybe post exactly what you are doing and you will get more help. ex: software you are using, write speed, encoder settings, etc...

3. TheElf1

TheElf1 Member

Jaguar,

I am using Xilisoft avi to dvd converter. It's converts and then burns immediately onto disk.

I only use Verbatum DVD + R's at 8X speed. The program converts to temp files and then right onto the disk.

This is the only movie I have ever had this problem with.

My computer is a relatively new Compaq with Windows 7 on it. I have not had this problem with any other movie I have downloaded and burned, only this one.

Thanks for any insight into this problem.

Hugs,
    The Elf

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

whenever you get a failed burn on a disc switch to dvd-rw untill issue resolved that'll solve the coaster issue

how much of the disc has been burned you can see it,is it only half or is it covering all,if it's all the size of the video folder is set too large in the conversion so the video after conversion is well over 4.475 on the burned disc including your hdd

so what size when right clicking on the video folder & selecting properties is the finished converted video size,no not the top reading the bottom one it reads "size on disc" (disc being the hard drive),remember an avi file of 700mb when converted should be above 4gb,well most times anyway

8x on 16x media is ok so no issue there unless it's 12x media in which case 6x burn would be better imo, unless the verbs aren't AZO,if there's no AZO on the round paper disc cover or the outside packaging they are low quality verbs

yeah can't think of much else

5. TheElf1

TheElf1 Member

Scorp, when I look at the disk after burning, it looks like only part of the movie is there. Only about 1/3 to maybe 1/2 of the disk is burned.

the disks are AZO and 16X and Verbatum. (I have never used anything else since I learned in here that they are the best for movie quality.)

There is no video folder to check. Xilisoft converts to a temp folder, burns and then deletes the temp files.

The first time it happened, when I looked at the disk it really didn't dawn on me that only part of the movie was burned. It's only about an hour and a half in length anyway so I didn't think any thing of it until I tried to watch it and it stopped right in the middle.

I really wanted this movie for the grand kids too. (Yes, it's HOP.) I guess they turn the kitchen into a movie theater and watch it from my monitor. hehehe)

Like I said, this is the first (and so far ONLY time) this has happened. I have burned movies since and not had this problem. Just with this one.

Hugs,
    Elf

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

damn xilisoft.. garbage.. dvd flick is what you need.. output a disk image (iso) and open with vlc to check it worked.. if happy burn disk with imgburn .. all freeware and better than the commercial spamware :)

7. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

use convertxtodvd 4 the best program out there