1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Burning dvd with Sonic software

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by J-Del, Sep 14, 2004.

1. J-Del

J-Del Member

I've used the guide on burning .avi to dvd file format and havn't been getting any good results. I don't use Ner o for one thing, because it only supports Sony hardware which I dont have. I have a LiteOn 8x +or- dvd burner. I have only successfully burned one dvd with it and it was an avi file that was about 3mb big. Thats not what I need, I need to burn my 7gig avi movies onto dvd. Please give me some help if you guys could that would be great.
    noemailsallowed@afterdawn.com *edited by mod*
    J-del

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well first off You don"t Burn AVI format to DVD, the AVI file has to be encoded to Mpeg2 format first and then the Mpeg2 file gets authored to DVD....

I find the easiest method is to Use a Standalone Mpeg encoder Like something simple like Tmpgenc Xpress to encode your AVI files to DVD compliant Mpeg2 files and once that is done you use a DVD authoring program like DVDLab or even Sonic I guess to add your Menu"s and Chapters and to author them to DVD....

And Nero is compatible with Pretty Much every burner there is Includeing your LiteOn , But that doesn"t matter because you can"t use Nero to to do this anyways.....

3. J-Del

J-Del Member

Thanks I pretty much figured some of that out after I posted that thread but also. My main problem now is my avi files are way to big. i use that program to make them mpeg2 files and they are still to big to fit onto a dvd? i dont understand really.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

It doesn"t matter how Big your AVI files are because it isn"t the Size of the AVI file that determines the Size it will be after it has been encoded to Mpeg2 it is the length of the AVI file and the Bitrate you use to encode it to Mpeg2 that determines how big it will be...

So what you have to do is use a lower Bitrate to encode the AVI file to Mpeg2 and what bitrate you use is determined by the length of the AVI file...

Why don"t you tell me what encoder you are useing or better yet how about I tell you what encoder to use but you will still have to tell me how long the AVI file is so I can calculate what Bitrate setting you should use...

An easy encoder to use is "Tmpgenc" or "Tmpgenc Xpress" and it"s quality is good and it will automaticly adjust the Bitrate for you so that the Mpeg file will fit on a DVD but it is a Little slow at encodeing especially on a Slower system...

If your AVI file is say 2 hours Long you would need to use an average Video Bitrate of 4875kbs and an Mpeg 1 Layer 2 audio bitrate of 192kbs and the resulting file will Fit on a DVD.....

Cheers

5. J-Del

J-Del Member

Thanks I'll try that stuff and hopefully things will turn out good. Although your right about the AVI size doesn't matter, thats not what I meant though in my last message. I meant the file it converted to (ready to burn dvd file mpeg2 or whatever was to big for sonic to burn it)