1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help burning on mini DVD-r's.....please help!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by indienemo, Feb 21, 2005.

1. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Hi,

I have a laptop with a slim-toshiba drive. It has poor compatability with the mini dvd-r's, when I put one into the drive it recognises them as 'blank dvd media', but when you right click it, it says free space 0mb used space 0mb... I tried burning a gamecube iso with alcohol 120%, but it said please insert blank disc, then it read the disc but still stayed on that screen... I have tried several times now, completely stuck... please help, thanks in advance...

PS.) I have found firmware for my DVDRW drive but it needs to be booted up from a floppy disc and my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.. Would it work on a bootable CD? Which program lets you make bootable CD's? Will I have to buy a new drive?!

2. tempest9

tempest9 Member

You could try to boot off a USB key.

Dude, turn your lights off ;)

3. cseknc

cseknc Member

Just try another software like blindewrite or nero. I also had the problem that alcohol didn't recognise the disc as empty. But with Blindwrite it's working like a charm.

/cse

4. indienemo

indienemo Guest

really?! OK ill try it...thanks. :) ill post later whether it works or not.

5. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Never! Everyone loves my beamer ;)

6. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Hi, I managed to use blindwrite to burn RE4 to a memorex mini dvd-r at 4x.... Put it into gamecube, it booted up fine, but then when I clicked start new game I got a disk read error asking me to turn off my gamecube (then on again)... any idea's what this means, thanks.

7. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Right, Ive got through a pack of five memorex mini dvd-r's.... only one of them managed to write and boot properly... nero usually crashes up my laptop anywhere between 55-80% leaving the disc broken and unfinished.... ;( any ideas?

8. cseknc

cseknc Member

First thing you should do is update your nero. Next thing is to flash your DVD burner with the newest firmware.

/cse

9. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Like I said its really tricky to update my drives firmware.... Unless I buy a USB stick or external floppy drive....

However would it be possible for me to bootup from my portable Hard disk drive?

PS my Nero was already up-to-date.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  10. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I tried writing data again on the failed discs, and it went through the writing process again?! What the heck, they wrote the discs to like 70% finished... then finalised them but its still letting me write over that original failed data? I dont get it...

11. molton

molton Member

I gave up on my mini dvd's, they burnt fine but my gamecube wouldn't read them right, I just got a 50 spool of memorex dvd+r's and they worked great, so rather than going through the time and expense of finding other mini dvd's that worked, I cut the bottom part of the cover, and the lid of the gamecube off so it fits full sized dvd's, it works great, you have to angle the disc under the top plastic and then fit it on the reader, but it's not hard, I put the spring and gear back in place on the lid, and used the part of the small piece of plastic that used to be used to hold the lid down from under the cover screwed in in the middle of the front of the case so I could slide it over the lid to keep it closed. If you're having this much trouble with mini dvd's, doing one of these case mods might be worth it.

Basically I used a soldering iron to cut the plastic off and I used it to melt down parts that stuck out too far on the cover and the lid. If you do this, make sure you don't melt the button holes, my reset botton hole got a little melted, now if I push it all the way in it jams, I didn't sand it at all although it probably could have used it a little, I just shaved off all the rough edges with a knofe.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  12. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I dont know if I can be bothered doing a case mod right now.... can you do this without the top case on?

Also, did you do the laser tweak to make it read full size dvd's?

PS. I want to buy a new dvd-rewriter, which make is the best, I need one that writes mini dvd's well, writes full size dvd's well (mine often fails on full size dvds as well).... plus a drive that has a good firmware update support...

13. molton

molton Member

You can just leave the case off, but it looks much better and is better protected with it on obvoiusly, I did tweak my laser, from 208 to 190 to see if that would help with my mini-dvd's, but the discs work perfectly at 190 at least, they probably would work fine at 208, I'm thinking about maybe putting it back

As far as drives go I don't know, I have a sony I got pretty cheap that works pretty well, that's about all I can tell you

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005