1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help choosing a chip(Nooby Here)

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by JBDizzle, Sep 14, 2007.

1. JBDizzle

JBDizzle Member

Hi all, Im new to the ps2 modding scene and a need help choosing a chip. I want to be able to play homebrew, play backups via hard drive and dvd-r and not have to hotswap. I also dont want to spend more than $15. I think im fairly good at soldering but like I said im a ps2 noob so I could be wrong. Here is a video of me doing a xbox chip install( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze697VzbYdI ). Is the ps2 any different? Ive also installed a 360 chip too. Thanks for any help:)

2. JBDizzle

JBDizzle Member

3. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Don't want to spend more then 15$? Well, i got bad news for you. All good modchips that do these kinds of thing cost like 50$ to 60$. It's stupid, thinking you can buy a good modchip that dosen't cost more then 30$. -.-

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  4. JBDizzle

JBDizzle Member

Not really. Ive installed many $10(duox2) modchips for the xbox aswell as $60(Xenium ice, Xecuter 2.6ce) modchips and both chips have the same exact functions. Except the more exspensive modchips have a bunch of unneeded stuff(in my oppinion. So I dont see why you think its stupid to think that?

5. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Duo3 is the best basic modchip that i know. 30 bucks. I don't know if it plays homebrew, however.

Crystal chip, DMS4, and matrix infinity all play homebrew, but they cost 50-60 bucks. I'm unsure of the DMS3's price.

6. TainTMe

TainTMe Member

sorry...double posted cause of me damn PDA bROWSER.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  7. TainTMe

TainTMe Member

Well fella`s
    Thanks for the insight into me newest project. :yikes:
    All in all I'm a console noob but the growing stacks of pieces andparts of acquired hardware have inspired my newest crusade. That arcade that I always wanted as a kid. :yes: (my kids are thrilled) anywho :doh:
    my point....
    I`ve read hundreds of posts and still can't determine definitivly if a modchip is absolutly required when one adds an external HDD. Its apparent each mod has its pros and cons but I'm thinking the add on HDD is a no brainer and so far it seems a chip would be just added fluff and added expense. Thanks in advance for any insight the console gods may have into this subject.