1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help choosing external enclosure, please.

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by fishbulb, May 4, 2005.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

I'm going to order an external enclosure for my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and I've found one I would like to get. The problem is one site says it comes w/ an AC adapter, http://supermediastore.com/bytecc-u...inch-hdd-device-with-fan-silver-me-320u2.html and one site says it doesn't http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145314
    This is the exact same model number Bytecc ME-320U2. Has anyone ordered this from one of these sites or know if it comes with an adapter anyway? The contents pic on newegg looks the same as the one on supermediastore. They both show an adapter. I called newegg to ask about it and told them that the pic showed an AC adapter and another site said the exact same item came w/ one but he said they went by the description rather than the pic. I don't know what to do! The reason this is a big deal is there is almost a $10 difference. The product price is the same but newegg has free shipping and supermedia will charge me over $9.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to order by tomorrow (Thur.) Thanks guys!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

doesn't use an ac adapter as it has a built in power supply & the powercord is the same as what is plugged into your computer psu. so if the same than go with the cheaper price as long as it has all the components as the other 1 does.

3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

I'm a little confused. Do some enclosures not need an AC adapter?
    I was reading some of the reviews on newegg.com and they said things like, "The necessity of AC power is mildly inconvenient, but chances are the computer needs it anyway and there's an outlet nearby." [bold]and[/bold] "Internal power supply with switch is a real plus." [bold]and[/bold] "I love having the power supply built in, no external adapter to lug around." [bold]and[/bold] "One excellent feature to keep in mind is that these cases DO NOT require a brick external power-supply adapter"
    It seems like some are saying it needs an external AC adapter and some say it doesn't. If it doesn't need one, does it get it's power from the computer through the usb cable? Sorry, but I know next to nothing about these things and want to be sure of what I'm getting and what I need.

4. ddp

according to the pictures the adapter is built into the enclosures.

5. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Thanks ddp. I'm going to go ahead and buy the one from newegg while they have the free shipping.

6. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

7. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Just placed my order. Waiting with great anticipation! Love the free fed ex shipping offer. Saved over $9.00 compared w/ supermediastore!

8. ddp

how long does it take to get to you??

9. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

I believe it said 3-4 business days plus 24-48 hrs. processing time.
    So most likely it will be shipped out tomorrow.