1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help.... Computer shutdown frequently

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Deino, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Deino

Deino Guest

Hi all...
    I've one big problem here... Since last 5 days, my PC keep on shutting down at any time without any obvious reason. No matter whether I run any software or just leave the PC open it will just keep on shutting down on its own. I've tried formatting my hard disk a couple of time in case of any undetected spyware, virus, worm, etc. but the prob. remains. I've also change my CMOS battery just in case but to no avail. Any suggestions anyone?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are all your fans working properly, what is cpu temp when shut

3. askyew

askyew Regular member

Sounds kind of like a possible power supply problem. You say the time varies that it will run before shutting down? Is it like sometimes it runs say maybe an hour or two and sometimes it runs 5 minutes? You can download a program clled MBM(mother board monitor) that can be set to log your voltages and temps(if you have sensors). After a shutdown look at the log and see if the voltage dropped on the rails or the temps went out high. Tell me more about your system and the problem.

4. Deino

Deino Guest

Thanks for replying guys. I've checked the fan and it's all working. But how do I monitor my temperature? Where to download this MBM? Sometimes when it shut down I can't get it to start again. I've to wait for a range of 1-5 minutes before I can get it on again. I was thinking about temperature too but I on't really know how to confirm it. Any idea?

5. ddp

disconnect all devices except 1 stick of ram & video card & see what happens for length of time usually fails

6. askyew

askyew Regular member

You still have not posted your system specs, its hard to help you without them. See if your motherboard is in the motherboard list here:
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
    If it is then download mbm5 from the same site using one of the mirror sites.

7. Deino

Deino Guest

Hi again guys...
    I've tried removing everything except graphic card and one memory stick - no improvement.
    By the way, this is my computer specs:
    P4 2.0
    Intel D845WN
    40 gb western digital
    GeForce 2FX 64mb
    2 x 256 pc 133 SDRAM

8. askyew

askyew Regular member

I still suspect the power supply. download mbm from the link that I gave you and get it to log for you. If it is a heat or power problem it will be in the log.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Does it just shut down fast or do you get a window with a countdown timer saying Remote Proceedure Call. If its the last one, its possibly a worm virus.

Jerry

10. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Try replacing the memeory stick with the other one.
    What are the results from MBM5?

11. jathesh

jathesh Member

Hi, I am also facing the same problem as Deino. The computer shuts down after some time. I notice that, first time it may work of long time, then the frequency increases. It is not a remote shut down. I changed the mother board, and checked the hard disk. Still the same problem exist. Mine is a celerone PC. I checked without connecting to net also still the problem exists. I am yet to check with MBM5. If any one can help, pls adviceā€¦

12. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I would agree 100% with askyew, I believe it's a PSU problem. Download MBM and run it. Go to your voltages and paste them here.

Also, could you look on the bottom or side of the PSU and tell us the brand and/or wattage?

Random shut downs are almost always a memory problem or a PSU that doesn't supply enough wattage or is going bad. Memory may be the culprit, but usually memory will give you a hard freeze and sometimes random reboots if it's going bad.

If the PSU that's in it now is the one the computer came with, I would wager that it's going bad.

One other thing. When your computer reboots, do you see a blue screen at all? If you're using XP sometimes when drivers are corrupt, the system will dump the memory and will just restart itself. Sometimes it's hard to catch, but if you're watching you can see the blue screen with a lot of errors in white text.

13. Deino

Deino Guest

Well, I've installed MBM5 but I'm still not familiar with the programme. Once the alarm goes on for not functioning fan but when I look into the case the fan works just fine. I've just replaced my PSU when the problem begin but nothing changes. It's still there. It just shut down. No timer. No bluescreen no anything. I've even try replacing my memory with my friend's just to counter check, still the problem remains. There's two more thing which I haven't try yet. The graphic card and the motherboard. Sometimes after it shutdown, the CPU can be turned on but there is no visual. Sometimes only the red LED is flashing but the harddisk LED is off. What's really happening here???

14. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Ok, let me ask you a few more questions.

When your computer is on and functioning (if it ever is), do your programs crash to the desktop frequently?

Also, I'm assuming you're running Win XP.

As far as MBM5... If you see the little temp in your tray, double click it. The program will come up and have options for you to choose from. From here, on the left side of the navigation menu choose "High/Low" and post your +3.3v +5.0v +12.00v -12.00v and -5.00v

Motherboard Monitor isn't really super accurate with voltages but if you do have a big problem with a your power lines it should show up.

Also... You say that when you shut your PC down, and reboot, sometimes you get no video at all. Can you tell from here if the PC is POSIing (usually one beep, at least on my Mobo)?

Does your computer just shut down completely? Or does it reboot? If it just shuts down completely... I really have no idea. It could be some sort of fail-safe device going off. Does your Mobo have some sort of feature that shuts itself down once it gets too hot?

15. cycodzzy

cycodzzy Member

I think you may have a bad motherboard, i myself am not fimiler with MBM, but you might find a log that will give you more info. check to make sure your system is not underpowered, and try to swap your cpu or mb. i know that sucks but good luck.

16. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Sounds like the Sasser Virus.

17. jathesh

jathesh Member

I don't think it is Sasser Virus. if it is Sasser virus, it is remote shut down and a message comes up telling your computer is going to shutdown.In such a case it can be cured by installing fire wall, and updating the windows.

18. askyew

askyew Regular member

19. Deino

Deino Guest

Well guys, I've downloaded Intel Active Monitor(IAM) and MBM5. When the monitor shutdown again, I've take a look at the log file of both but nothing was reported. I've even try opening the IAM while running the computer until it shut down again but still no log. What now?

20. ddp

check the bracket that is attached to the motherboard that the heatsink fan clips into to see if one of the plastic clips isn't broken off holding the fan to the heatsink & motherboard. happened to a friend of mine in that one of the 4 corners mounted to motherboard broke off by it self & either freeze or shutdown as heatsink was now not sitting properly onto cpu & cpu overheated. in the bios i could watch the cpu temp climb quickly