1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help converting to mp4

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by pmb88, Jun 14, 2011.

1. pmb88

pmb88 Member

I have been using Any video converter(if you think that there is a better converter please advise) to convert some of the video files I downloaded to mp4. I am having a few questions of converting wmv files. It seems that all the wmv files involve VBR with video and or audio. I checked the file with mediainfo and pasted one result below.

Overall bit rate : 2 126 Kbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 2 104 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-06-01 20:28:55.000

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : VC-1
    Format profile : MP
    Codec ID : WMV3
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Video 9
    Codec ID/Hint : WMV3
    Description of the codec : Windows Media Video 9 - 2-pass VBR
    Duration : 16mn 46s
    Bit rate : 2 048 Kbps
    Width : 960 pixels
    Height : 540 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.132
    Stream size : 246 MiB (96%)

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : WMA
    Format version : Version 2
    Codec ID : 161
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio
    Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio 9 - 44 kHz, stereo VBR
    Duration : 16mn 46s
    Bit rate : 41.2 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 4.94 MiB (2%)

Is there a way to convert vbr to cbr or is it best to keep it at vbr but in different format? What does it mean that vbr is Q85 or Q90? I am a newbie to this so I do not know much about various bit rate formats. I have been usually setting the video and audio bitrates to the ones I found in the original properties of the file. I became somewhat worried cause in some of the wmv files it said that audio bit rate was 0 kbps. I wanted clarification on what to do if the file that is being converted from uses VBR instead of CBR.

2. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

I believe VBR is inherent in doing a multipass encode. The first pass looks at where the bits can be best distributed. It makes for more efficient coding. I've used the free Handbrake for mp4 encoding in the past and I'm experimenting with mp4 again using Nero Recode and and old version of Handbrake (still has xvid) on a difficult video file. HB offer more options and the results so far have been better at the same bitrate. Hope this helps.