1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help converting vhs---DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kickster, Nov 10, 2004.

1. kickster

kickster Member

Hi
    I have a large collection home recorded VHS tapes.
    Tapes are getting old and their quality is degrading.
    I want to convert them all to DVD. What is the best way to do this?
    Should I use a PC dvd recorder or a stand alone DVD recorder? which brand do you recommend?

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

DVD recorder. No question about it. You can always add menus and such later. As for which recorder, it depends on how much you want to spend. Even the cheapest ones will do the job. Gateway, Magnovox, and a few others have ones for $150, but I'd go for the Sony. $300 for last year's discontinued model. Decide which format you want to be able to record to - DVD-RAM, DVD+R only, DVD-R, +/-RWs, or all.

3. kickster

kickster Member

what is the difference between "-" and "+" formats?
    If I record it in + format would I be able to convert it to "-" format?

Do any of stand alone dvd recorders have editing function that can reduce noise in sound and picture or allow adding a name or title to the DVD?

Are stand alone DVD recorders dual layers?
    would there be any reduction in picture quality during the transfer? Is there a way to reduce it?

Sorry for so many questions. I am new in this field.

Thanks in advance.

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

I did mine through a Sony camcorder. I copied them from the VCR to the camcorder and them captured them onto my computer with DV cable. I was then able to edit, make menus, etc. and then burn straight to DVD.

It was pretty time consuming, but well worth it! My tapes were degrading also.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  5. kickster

kickster Member

I have to copy over 100 tapes. I have to follow the least time consuming method.

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

This is wrong forum to ask this question. About 500 posts on this topic. Look on last page.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/54508

The only way to convert from + to - format would be to burn the movie again from the + disc to the - disc or vice versa.

You can expect the quality to look like it does on the VHS tape. (You can't polish a turd.) lol But once on DVD, the quality will not degrade over time like the VHS.

You could either buy a standalone DVD recorder to transfer them or you could find a VCR with a DV output to hook up to your computer. This way you can capture directly from the VCR to your computer.

I looked at this option but wanted the more versatility of the camcorder after I transferred the videos. I rarely use a VCR anymore for anything.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004