1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help diagnosing failed FRAG-ing mod

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by plugg_pro, Mar 23, 2005.

1. plugg_pro

plugg_pro Member

This first part may be irrelavent, but I don't want to leave anything out.

New to soldering, but attempted first to mod my friend's 1.4 box with an Xecuter 3. After a few tries, got the FlasBios screen loaded ok, but then discovered that the LAN port was non-functional. He said that he had had it soft-modded, and that he hasn't ever been able to play actual xbox games in the drive (or probably anything, but not sure) since having the soft mod done. Now, I don't know anything about soft mods, and if that could have anything to do with the LAN port going bad, but I tried to make a bios DVD instead...that didn't work either. So at this point, he decided to get a new box.

Removed all the X3 components from the 1.4 box and tried to install into his new 1.6 box. Chip came with the Rebuild PCB, so did that too. Now the box is three boot fail FRAG-ing, and I can't seem to locate the problem, but some of the solder points on the Rebuild PCB seem to be really touchy, so I'm thinking that's where the problem is. I don't have a multimeter to test with...wish I did. Can anyone at least narrow down the points that the problem could be with, and any good way to test to see if each point is good?

Also...as far as that 1.4 box goes...is there any way I can get the origional MS bios back on there? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

if you think that the solder points might be a bit touchy, then get a solder sucker, de-solder the points and re-solder them nice and solid.

3. plugg_pro

plugg_pro Member

Yeah, I thought about that, but I was hoping to try narrowing down which points could be bad, and try to touch those up before redoing the whole thing.

Also...I forgot to mention this...I took out the chip but left all the wires and headers attached, but it was still FRAG-ing...could I have killed the board, or will the presence of the wire headers and everything cause that?

4. shivadow

shivadow Member

have u lifted any traces off the board? if it frags without the chip in i can almost definately say u killed the board.

5. plugg_pro

plugg_pro Member

Ummm...I'm sorry, but what do you mean, have I lifted any traces from the board?