1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help find a DVD burner that will work with my mac

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by crs100975, Dec 30, 2004.

1. crs100975

crs100975 Member

I have a mac with OS 10.3.7. I have bought a Liteon dvd burner from macmall.com. They said that it was mac compatible, but my mac and toast would not recognize it. I sent it back. Then I got a LaCie from newegg.com, not only did my mac/toast not recognize it, I could not even get the DVD door/tray to open. So, I'm sending it back today. What DVD burner can I buy will work with my mac, and toast will recognize. Give me a suggestion of brand and what to do to get the mac to read it. Thanks for you help.

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Are you just putting the drive internally or externally? Either one should work fine if you go internal or external via firewire. USB apparently isn't working for some with the mac and burners.

3. crs100975

crs100975 Member

It's external firewire. Well it's IDE drive going in an existing external casing, using firewire.
    Thank you for helping me, I'm a my witts-ends.

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Hmm. I've never had any kind of problem with a firewire burner not being recognized. There are firmware updates for the cases themsleves but I think you have to do that on a peecee. Is the case an oxford 911 chip set?

5. crs100975

crs100975 Member

I'm not sure. But it has all the same hook-ups as if you were going to put it in a mac computer shell. What kind of dvd burner should I buy? I was looking at Pioneer DVR-108. What do you think?

6. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

108 should work perfect...

7. crs100975

crs100975 Member

Thanks for your help, I may need more help here in the near future.

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  9. spdbump

spdbump Member

crs100975

I just got a 108 internal and discovered that you need patchburn to make it work.
    Here is the website if you decide to go that route

http://www.patchburn.de/index.html

10. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

To make it work how? Does it not work? Or is it just idvd that doesn't see it?

11. spdbump

spdbump Member

I needed it to make Itunes and Toast to recognize that disc burning was supported. Unfortunately I can't use Idvd because I am on a G4 400.

12. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

That's interesting. I have to problem burning with itunes on internal or an external NEC which is much les popular than the 108. iDvd I can believe that.

13. spdbump

spdbump Member

yea it drove me crazy for about a week, then I found patchburn. works great now. I just need Mac the rip and then I can play with dvd's

14. crs100975

crs100975 Member

mediaguru, I can't find a good deal on the Pioneer DVR-108, I can find a good deeal on the Pioneer DVR-109. Do you think that it would be compatible with my Mac?What's the difference between the two models? Is it a wise decision to purchase this model? Do you think a dumb### like myself can get this thing working on my computer? Thanks for you help.

15. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

If it's not a "superdrive" meaning that it doesn't have apple roms it will most likely not work with idvd. But toast and other apps should see it fine. Didn't know about the 109. It must be "1" better than the 108...

16. HaiTac

HaiTac Member

17. ggushee

ggushee Member

I am so frustrated.....I have a G4 Powerbook 15" 550/512/40 with Mac OSX.3.7 and an internal cd-rw/dvd Player. I am trying to burn a DVD on my external Cyclone REvo Superdrive.....I have tried both idvd & Toast....the burner reads, encodes, fills cache and starts to "write Lead-Out" and then it ejects the disk???? I can burn Cd's...perfect, but I have yet to burn a DVD.....Disk Utility, Preferences everything says ok....Newest firmware 2.0 Toast 6.....I even tried 1x,2x,8x disc.....no 4x yet......DVD' both Memorex & Sony.....Cd's are Imation.....Maybe I should go buy some Imation 4x??? Do you have any ideas???? My DVD is connected via Firewire......could this be an issue?? Maybe firmware would work better via a USB connection.....Please Help??? Gordon

18. crs100975

crs100975 Member

I got my Pioneer 109 yesterday. I can't get my computer to read a simple CD, or Toast to find the recorder. Can anybody help me with this problem?

19. Londor

Londor Guest

What Mac do you have? Because you said you could not even get the LaCie burner working I would say that you have a problem with your firewire port. Are you sure it is not fried? I mean are you sure it is working?. Any of the burners that you have bought so far should have worked.

20. crs100975

crs100975 Member

I finally got it working. More by accident than computer skills. Thanks to everybody that helped, it's nice to know that there are smart people out there willing to help people like me. Again thanks to all.