1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help from Experienced people

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by barryware, Feb 2, 2005.

1. barryware

barryware Member

OK... I'm a newbie to the forum, however I have been backing up DVD's for a few years now. I need some help from the expertise in this forum. We have all encountered the new protection that deals with bad sectors, blank sectors, and missing keys. I have been able to back up these titles sucessfully but there must be a better way. I will use DVDdecriptor to rip to disk, then Instantcopy to compress and write to the blank media. When DVDDecriptor runs into these sectors, it will skip them and insert dummy blocks. However, this can take several hours (X-men 2000 took 14 hours to rip)Once ripped, instant copy has no problem. Ripping a DVD using a file method does not seem the way to go with this protection. Need a way to read the movie and skip the bad sectors like the DVD player will. After reading some posts, I thought AnyDVD would be the answer. I ran it in the back ground and let Instantcopy go from disk to disk. That didn't seem to work. I don't really know why. It may be that I have some conflicts with the differant software(s) on the PC. So.. Is there any kinda step by step guide using AnyDVD & Instantcopy on the forum? Or AnyDVD & DVD shrink?. I realize that trial and error is the best teacher but any help could save hours and hours of time.

2. sashime76

sashime76 Member

I've mentioned this in another post. I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD (both from Elby/Slysoft), they work 90%+ the time. If I have trouble with a particular disc then I try DVD Decrypter and/or DVDFab. It could be the DVD drive that's having trouble reading correctly.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

When you say going disc to disc, do you mean on the fly? Because if that's what you're trying to do, it probably won't work because it needs to compress. AnyDVD is great, it hasn't failed me yet. Make sure you have the latest version. As far as Decrypter taking 14 hours, I have never experienced that yet, and I use it all the time. Maybe your settings are a little screwy? Find ScubaPete and follow his settings guide. The link is in his sig. Hope that helps a little.

4. barryware

barryware Member

No, I didn't mean on the fly. Instantcopy will read directly from a disk and write to the hard drive first, compressing as it goes. Once written, it will then burn a disk. Typically, dvd decriptor will read the disk and write the files to the hard drive. Instant copy will then take those files, compress and then burn. Just an option to read directly from a disk. DVD Decriptor will read through bad blocks without crashing and insert dummy blocks. But when there are thousands of bad blocks, it takes quite a while. If it takes 2 seconds to realize the block is bad, and there are 4000 bad blocks (3500+ in R.E.2), thats almost 2 hours to get through the VOB. X-Men 2000 had something like 14,000 bad blocks or sectors split up into 2 VOB's. Took some time to get through em.

5. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

AnyDVD and DVD Shrink have worked for me .... Average time to rip .... compress and burn the movie using Advanced Analysis and Max Sharpness on my system is about 1 hour .... 1 hour 15 min

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Yeah, I have a pretty slow computer and for ripping with the new Decrypter and new encryption I have never seen longer than 1 hour or so. But AnyDVD is just awesome. I've been using that lately and now I only use Decrypter for my PS2 games.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

@ barryware

seems odd there? taking so long? set dvd decrypter to default settings and try the rip, it may be you need to turn on ignore read errors? or you have debug mode on? it list all errors! and set read retries to 0

also with dvd decrypter use anyDVD in the background as a region killer etc etc and not the app itself!

the new films out need the black screen cutting out or replacing with a still image to re-author ok!

note latest firmware in drive helps alot on new protections! hacked ones even!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  8. barryware

barryware Member

Thanks for the info.. Just to let you know, I have DVD decriptor set for no retries and ignore the errors. It still won't just blast through the errors. If a disk has no errors on it the disk will rip in about 10 to 15 minutes on my system. But like I said, if the disk has errors, it takes a bit to get through em.

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

on new type disc you still get error!!!!!

but its fine just replces with dummy blocks etc...

let it run!

10. johnnyjo

johnnyjo Member

can any one help ive come across a new type of protection ive used dvd dcrypter shrink dvd and a few other including dvdsanta i can get the trailers and menus but not the movies

11. x_caliber

x_caliber Member

what are you tryin to burn?.....ive heard of certain new discs that have some sort of weird encryption in the 5.1 dolby section....ive actually had to cut that out and just us 2 channel...which kinda blows...workin on a new method that can get around it

12. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

x-caliber, could you give us the names of a few titles that have this audio channel protection?

13. x_caliber

x_caliber Member

i ran into this problem with one of the sopranos discs..another one that comes to mind was anchorman. it wasnt a protection problem necesairliy but it was more than likely encoded in a weird way that my bro had trouble copying....i have yet to try because i got anchorman as a gift so i havent had to copy it. my brother said he had the same problem with somthin else recently i just couldnt remember what movie it was

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

you guys try AnyDVD? Ever since I started using that I haven't run into 1 problem. And it runs in the background so you can just use DVD Shrink like you normally would without any extra steps.

15. johnnyjo

johnnyjo Member

resident evil 2 was one even dvd shrinkwont read it properly

16. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

RE2 has the new Arcos protection, which is not mediated through the dolby 5.1 stream.

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

barryware you might try uninstalling the program and reinstalling it to see if that helps , and see if you have a firmware update also.

18. johnnyjo

johnnyjo Member

what is best way to get round this problem of the new arcos protection

19. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

DVD Decrypter(freeware) or AnyDVD(retail).

20. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

On RE2 DVD Decrypter worked for me, but I think it must insert a lot of blank space into the file structure in compensation. I found that running the decrypted files through VOBBlanker trimmed about half a gig off with no loss of content, this could be useful for single disk Shrink fans.