1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help getting faster utorrent downloads

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by wish_bone, Jun 27, 2007.

1. wish_bone

wish_bone Guest

hi everyone.

I just downloaded utorrent and started downloading a movie. It started at about 3KB/s and then went down to zero. I noticed that I had a yellow connection light so i forwarded a port and now its green. This increased it to about 5KB/s. I am very disappointed because I know that people out there are getting speeds of 80KB/s and I would be pleased with a steady speed of 20KB/s.

Anybody have any suggestions? I need help badly.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Try this, at options>preferences>connection, set a port over 10,000 that isn't the default and disable UPnP and at options>preferences>bittorrent, enable Protocol Encrypion: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674, both DHT options but only on public sites and set Global maximum connections and maximum connected peers both to 250-350. At options>speed guide>connection type, after a speedtest, select the figure closest to your upload speed. You can run this test over a few days at various times including the weekend to get a good average.

3. wish_bone

wish_bone Guest

Thanks for the reply.

I have already set my port to one above 10000 and i have enabled encryption. I don't know what a speed test is...could you tell me?

Oh and it has started this new thing where it starts downloading at about 10KB/s and when the movie gets to 5.3% it freezes up and wont keep going. So i restarted utorrent and the movie went back down to 4% and when it gets back to 5.3% it freezes again!

4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

A speed test will show what bandwidth you really obtain to your computer; download and upload speeds. Say you're on Cable and school's out, use will be high and your speeds will be down. Those speeds may vary as to time of day, weekday or weekend, Cable vs DSL. utorrent contains a site or here is another you can use: http://www.speedtest.net/ Upload speed needs to be set to 80% for Bittorrent to achieve best speeds; connection type in speed guide lets you select which you need based on that speed test. As far as the freezing, you can try enabling UPnP but don't know.