1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help hooking up computer monitor to Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mrmcrice, Jan 28, 2007.

1. mrmcrice

mrmcrice Member

Hey unfortunately i dont have an hdtv and i feel its a crime not playing my 360 without one, but my friend told me id be able to hook one up on my monitor. He told me i woudlnt need any special connections but when i got home i couldnt find a way to do it. Now my monitor has both a DV input and the regular monitor input, which cable do i need and how would i go about doing it?

2. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

you need a special HD VGA cable for your 360 you can get them for about 40 bucks, and it upconverts everything to HD, very nice...you would probably want to use your DVI for your computer and just use the VGA on your xbox

3. K4kashi

K4kashi Regular member

4. mrmcrice

mrmcrice Member

sweet thanks guys, just on your personal opinions does it come out looking hd like?

5. mrmcrice

mrmcrice Member

another question sorry to double post but it doesnt say on the new egg reviews, do i need to have a computer on to run this? cuz my computer is broken or can i just hook it straight up to the monitor. Also how would i get sound on this would i hook it up to my comps speakrs? sorry for the nub questions lol

6. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

you need a computer unless you can go to radioshack and get the right adapter so you can plug 2 2.5mm headphone jacks into one so that it will run audio straight to your speakers

7. mrtoast2

mrtoast2 Member

you HAVE TO make sure your monitor choice has a resolution that the 360 supports or you will get major pixel pull!

I had a great samsung monitor 941BW that I got from newegg and the resolution was 1440x900 which the 360 does not output. I used the closest resolution and the picture was good, but not great. Then I hooked the 360 up to a sony monitor I have and the resolution was a match to 1280x1024 or something like that to exactly what the 360 could output and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

So do NOT get a monitor that will make the graphics pull or you will hate it compared to a matching display.

I actually got lucky, I sold the monitor on ebay after I got a 20" HD monitor for 250!!

Just my opinion

8. munkeeboy

munkeeboy Member

I got a really old monitor for free, and theres no input for the vga, it needs a gender changer for the vga so that i can connect the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable to it. Does the xbox vga cable come with a gender changer?

9. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

it defeats the purpose to use an old monitor, new LCD monitors upconvert to HD an old monitor like that isnt going to...

10. munkeeboy

munkeeboy Member

true...but i got it for free. so i just thought, better to use this free one rather than go and pay for another 250. if i didnt have one, id get a nice LCD Monitor