1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help identifying a type of cable for internal hd

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lemonchowder, Jan 31, 2012.

1. lemonchowder

lemonchowder Member

Hello everybody!

I recently repaired an old hard drive and decided to put it into a refurbished compaq presario cq56. After spending the entire day fixing the HD, installing a fresh OS, and basic software, I spun it around to show my girlfriend across the table(it is intended as a gift for her.) and the screws in the bottom give way. The hard drive fell off the side of the table and the tension ripped the serial cable from the controller.

Now Ive never replaced an HD to a laptop before but have lots of experience with old desktops. I was wondering what kind of cable I need to buy to replace it. Ive been looking around the internet all morning learning about SATA IDE etc. and I cant seem to find any information on what this specific cable is. I did learn I can purchase the kit from HP for 20 dollars but I only need the cable which if its priced similarly to other cables, it will be much cheaper.

Since I am new I can not post images or links but if you google image "599057-001" without quotes the second result is a very clear picture of what I need.

Thank you all!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. lemonchowder

lemonchowder Member

yes that is the hp enclosure kit. I was wondering what specifically that wire is so I could purchase it without the kit or perhaps if manufacturers put unique cables on their boards because I couldn't find that wire anywhere by it self. Even in the product descriptions for that hp kit in the link it doesn't say what that wire is.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the small end is a sata connector for hd. how many pins on the big end?

5. lemonchowder

lemonchowder Member

There are 22 pins total: seven plus 15.