1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help installing a few programs on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by gnarkills, Dec 16, 2007.

1. gnarkills

gnarkills Regular member

I am trying to install rarlinux-3.7.1.tar.gz.1 and Nero on my laptop through Ubuntu. HOW DO I DO IT?! I am new to it, and I can't find any god TUT's.

Thanks

2. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Did you try searching Google at all? Typing "rarlinux ubuntu" gives some very simple solutions as the first and second result... Basically, install unrar instead. I'll leave it to you to do some reading to find out how to if you don't know how to.

As for Nero, if you NEED something with all the bells and whistles, try a native linux program like K3B instead, otherwise Gnome has a basic built in CD writer and builder, good enough for burning isos and making basic compilations. Again, I'll leave it to you to find out how, Google and the Ubuntu forums are your friend.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Ubuntu has both rar and unrar in the repositories (same as debian)

Debian-multimedia even have rar-2.8.0 needed for subtitles ;)

4. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Nero would not be my first choice of a burning app on Linux. Gnomebaker would be another alterative. ImgBurn also works very well with Wine and the next release is supposed to support audio cd burning.