1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help installing a hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by xerofyre, Jan 24, 2005.

1. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

This is my first time trying to upgrade my computer. I attempted to take a 15 gb hard drive out of my old computer and put it in my new computer for extra space.
    I don't know the brand or anything other than on the sticker on the front of the old computer it says: 15 GB Hard Drive Ultra DMA/66

I took it out of the old computer, opened up my new one. Placed it in one of the bays. There are only 3 connector things. One to the dvd burner, one to the floppy, and one to my 80 gb hdd. So I took the ribbon cable out of the floppy and put it on my 15 gb hdd. Then I found one of the power cords that didn't seem to be connected to anything and placed in on the hdd.

But the computer doesn't seem to recognize that there's a hdd there. Just to test it out I tried accessing the floppy drive and it made explorer freeze. But anyways I know I was supposed to switch the hdd to slave or something like that but the hdd doesn't have any switches on it at all.

What do I do?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take the cable that you took from the floppy drive as it is 34 pin data cable. you need a 40 pin data cable , same as your c: drive. if have only 1 40 pin data cable currently hooked up to the hd & dvd burner than take 1 from old computer & connect it to ide2 or secondary port than connect new/old drive to it. go into the bios to see if all ide drives recognized

3. c4iscool

c4iscool Member