1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help installing wireless router

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by antonio11, Jan 11, 2007.

1. antonio11

antonio11 Regular member

first of all I had no problems with my router, but when i decided to get the timewarner tripple play the phone/tv/internet they gave me a new cable modem. when i had the old one all i did was enter the ip of the router and it took me to the setup page. but with the new modem it doesnt.
    does anyone know what to do? the router is dlink DI-624m i tried their website but cant fix it anyway. ohh and the router doesnt work when its wired either

2. ts1982

ts1982 Member

are you sure the modem is registered with your cable company? when you plug the modem directly into the computer do you have internet? if so, then it should just be a matter of following the setup instructions of the router. what type of cable modem did they give you?

3. skidme

skidme Guest

A different modem should not make a difference to your router. The router should stii be accessible when you type in its IP. Try resetting the router. I know that you will lose all of your settings on it, but that's the only way to go now.

4. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

The cable modem that timewarner gave you, is that also a router or is it just a modem?

5. antonio11

antonio11 Regular member

the internet works fine with only the modem connected. the router is giving me problems. the modem thet i had was s toshiba that was only for the internet now i have the modem called Arris that connects also my phone line. i will try to reset my router but im not sure how to and i dont remember seeing anything about that on their website so if someone knows how to do it i would appriciate it. thanks

6. antonio11

antonio11 Regular member

reseting the router didnt help

7. steimy

steimy Active member

have you called the company that gave you the modem to ask them?
    like everyone else i agree that the modem should make no difference.
    The router should still function the same way.
    Ask them if it is a modem or actually a router.

8. antonio11

antonio11 Regular member

one more thing when the pc is connected through the router it sees the router, it shows the connection speed and when i try wireless it also sees that the router is there. ohh and it sends packets but doesnt receive

9. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I didn't see anyone mention whether you reset the CABLE MODEM when you connected the router to it. You usually need to reset the modem by turning off the power for like 30 seconds and turning it back on, doing all this with the router plugged in to it. The cable modem may still think it's connected directly to your computer.

BTW, The default IP for that router is 192.168.0.1. The default user name is "admin" (without the quotes, all lowercase) and nothing in the password box. Can you login now? If this works then we know the LAN side of the router is fine.

10. antonio11

antonio11 Regular member

I tried reseting the modem and nothing. a couple of times i was able to get to the router using this 69.89.88.79 as ip but after i run the program they have there. it still didnt work

(with my old modem the default IP for that router was192.168.0.1. but it didnt work with this modem)

11. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Er, are you sure you have the router hooked up right i.e. the WAN/Internet port connected to the modem, and your PC connected to one of the LAN ports? That 69.x.x.x. IP you gave corresponds to net2ez, a public IP address. Even with the modem completely disconnected, you should still be able to access your router. Check also to be sure that your computer is obtaining an IP automatically.

Let's go back to basics. First, check to see if your PC is set to "Obtain an IP addres automatically". (also make sure it obtains a gateway automatically). That is, DHCP on the PC is enabled. Then shut it down and keep it off. Then power-off both the router can cable modem.

Wait 30 seconds.

First, power-on the modem and nothing else. Wait until the cable lights stabilize (it usually take a minute or two to acquire a cable signal and then get an IP address.

Once that's done, power on the router and let it run through its self-test.

After a minute or so, power-on the PC. Even if you don't have internet access, you should be able to access the router normally. If you still don't have internet, we can debug this from that point on.

12. antonio11

antonio11 Regular member

didnt help, how do i debug

13. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

If you followed all the steps I mentioned in my last post and still can't log into your router, then the problem is likely between the PC and router. Again, redo all the steps above and this time, check to see if the router's lights show a live connection with your PC. That'll rule out a bad cable. Then, go into Start->Control Panel->Network Connections->right-click Local Area Connection->Status

That'll also show you if the connection to the router is working. Now Select the Support tab and select Details... and either post or PM me everything there.

FYI, for a Dlink router, your IP address should be something like 192.168.0.x (where x is between 2 and 254) and both the gateway and DHCP server should read 192.168.0.1. I'm curious to know what values you're showing however, including the DNS servers.