1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help on buying psp

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by jaylee1, May 22, 2007.

1. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

Can some one give me a quick bit of advice on psp's and firm ware up/downgrading etc. Been lookin at buyin a psp off fleabay and need to know what to go for . Theres a lot of 1.5's but they cost more so can any firmware be changed or is there any that can't? I was just reading about the motherboard that wont down grade very quickley but can i upgrade then downgrade?

Help

Thanks....

2. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

up to 2.81 can be downgraded,and even then you need an UNPATCHED version of GTA.LCS to downgrade from 3.03. but dont let someone sucker you into paying more for a lower firmware. Just make sure you don't get one that is higher than 3.11. or else you will be F***ed for a long time man.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  3. ebubba166

ebubba166 Member

Thought I'd fix that post for you.

4. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

I put 3.11 purposely, they are currently working on a downgrade for 3.11 3.03 requires a rare game to downgrade.

5. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

So i can have up to 2.81 and downgrade with software, or over 3.11?
    If the lower fw is easyer why make sure i get one over 3.11?
    Or is 3.11 up able to be done and the lower ones are hit an miss?

I have been trying to find a tut that sums all this up but can't find one so if any one can link me it would be appriciated...

Thanks..
    Edit...

Ok just been having a read and found out that the latest down gradable fw is 3.03, yet on another thread someone who upgraded to 3.40 was talking about going back to 1.5.. I'm confused.. also do the different fw versions come on different mb's ta 079 ta 082 and all that? seems like just buyin a psp is more than it first seems.
    Should i just buy the cheapest one? And what are the odds that it will be downgradable, Is there a certain age of console that can be done, just as a rough guide?

6. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Don't listen to MetalGeat, he either doesn't know what he's talking about or is trying to screw you up. You need a get any psp lower than 3.03. Motherboards don't matter much, as you can downgrade from all motherboards now. Idealy anything below 2.8 would be the way to go, as fw 2.81 - 3.03 need an unpatched gta umd to work. They are supposely hard to find. Sometimes the firmware is not listed, I always ask seller before bid. I use this rule of thumb: if no firmware version is posted, assume it's 3.11 and above.

7. Oraseth

Oraseth Regular member

The point is that originally the firmware version 1.50 allowed PSP to run custom software, later official firmware version have this disabled, so you cant run anything on them that sony does not like...

The modified firmwares around use the 1.50 version as a base when they upgrade, so the they later modified firmwares like 3.40 OE-A are actually a combination that has the features that the newer firmwares have, but also have the 1.50 base that allows running custom stuff (and backups)

You can actually see the firmware version the PSP from the box. Based on production runs.

[​IMG]

A = 1.50
    B = 1.51
    C = 1.52
    D = 1.52
    E = 1.52
    F = 2.00
    G = 2.01
    H = 2.50
    I = 2.60
    J = 2.70
    K = 2.71
    L = 2.81
    M= 3.01

so you want a K or anything before that.

For more info on how to, check here for guides how to downgrade from different versions.

8. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

Dude wtf, I made a typo. Chill out. I ment to say dont get one higher than 3.11

9. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

That seems to make all the difference in the world, doesn't it ;)

10. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

Thanks for the replys guys been a bit busy latley and only just checked back.
    If a seller has not got the box how can they get the fw to display on the screen or is it that obvious that if they say they dont know its 3.11 or above.....

11. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

u can do that easily in the settings...
    Settings>System Settings>System Information

12. Woogi

Woogi Member

hello, i dont mean to hijack this (hopefully i wont) but lets say you have a 2.7 (or any "good" firmware) i was told that if you play a newer game it will update the firmeware for you. so i guess my question is, if you buy a 2.7 that someone has played a new game in and lets say updated it to 3.11 is it still easy to downgrade? is the firmware based on what CAME on the unit or what the unit may have been upgraded to

13. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

when an update is put on a UMD, it shows up as a seperate program. it will not update for u. However, in order to play the game, it may tell u u need to update, buit it does not do it for u

14. Woogi

Woogi Member

well i guess my question is, if the PSP orig. came with 2.7 but im buying it used so if the guy played a newer game that updated the firmware, is it easyier to downgrade that, than if you buy a psp with a newer firmware out of the box.? what if he played a game that updated the PSP to 3.11, can i down grade that (as i know it is hard/imposiable to downgrade a PSP with 3.11 out of the box)

15. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

just buy a new one. if there is no downgrader for ur specific firmware, then update to one that can be downgraded, like 3.03
    and, it is IMPOSSIBLE to downgrade anything 3.10+, so ur better off buying a new one

16. Woogi

Woogi Member

ok well i ended up geting v2.0 now i just need a guide on what to do now