1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED HELP ON GETTING INTERNET ON BYOC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by smooches, Jan 13, 2007.

1. smooches

smooches Member

I have a computer that was built by my husband. We are trying to get the internet working through the ethernet cord. We have no problems using the internet with a wireless connection. We need to free up a pci slot by taking out the wireless nic. When the ethernet cord is hooked up, it says that the lan is connected and it shows 400 Mbps but the packets arent being sent or received. I have tried to take off the firewall, restart the router and the dsl modem and it still isnt aquiring anything at all. I tried to manually assign an ip address that was similar to the other computer (the one that I am on now) and it still didnt work. Any other suggestions? This is what I remember of what is on the home built computer: 1gb ram, abit motherboard anx 32x, socket 939 i think, win xp with sp2, nvidia video cards (2). That is all I can remember. Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Try connecting the PC directly to the modem, and then reset the modem and restart the PC. (With the firewall running, of course!) Depending on your ISP and plan, you may have to use DHCP/Automatic IP address, which is true of most services. If it connects, then it's a problem with the router. I'd need to know the router make and model at that point. I just may be that your router either wants wireless connectivity or wired connectivity, but not both at the same time.

3. smooches

smooches Member

ok, i have a netgear router and i have att dsl modem. I also tried this route.....I connected the home built computer directly to the dsl modem and I used a patch cable. It says it is connected with 400 mbps but no packets are being sent or received still. Everything is on auto as far as tcp/ip and the firewall is up. I also tried your suggestion and still to no avail. Is there a firewall up on the motherboard? When the home built computer was on wireless and the other computer was using the cat5 cable at the same time using the internet there wasnt a problem. Now what should I do???

4. smooches

smooches Member

PLEASE CLOSE THIS POST. PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Since you came here asking for help, perhaps you would be kind enough to post what solved your problems. It may help someone down the line.

6. smooches

smooches Member

THE DRIVER FOR THE ETHERNET PORT WASNT INSTALLED. EVERYTHING IS OK NOW.

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

THAT IS GOOD! NOW YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT BROKE YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY. :(:(:(

8. smooches

smooches Member

I'm sorry!!!!!! I was multi tasking in too many message windows.