1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help pls! dvd skips!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by trust121, Feb 5, 2005.

1. trust121

trust121 Member

First off.. I hope this is the right place to post my message, if not i am sorry. I have a problem burning dvds.. They tend to skip once burned. I used the chaep media and it skipped a lot..then after reading forums i heard that the media may be the problem. So i bought a pack of TDK 8x brand dvds, and burned a dvd. The tdk indeed worked a whole lot better. However, it does skip every now and then but not as much as the generic ones i used. Do you think my dvd burner is defective? What should i do to get my dvd burns to not skip.. When i burn all programs are closed and not runing except for the burning programs of course. Will a system defrag help? i was thinking about re-formating my computer as well..what do you guys think? The results i am getting now from the tdk disks are do-able but it just skips a little.. it sucks. so any help would be great.. thanks in advance.. my current setup is as follows:

2.4 amd processor
    60 gig hd/ 120gig external hd
    dvd dycrytor (current)
    dvd shrink (current)
    nero 6.0
    512 mb ram
    windows xp

Thank You!

2. trust121

trust121 Member

i forgot to add.. i have a sony 4x internal dvd burner.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  3. trust121

trust121 Member

anyone?

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

You may try to set your burn speed lower. Also when you say all other programs are turned off, does that include screensaver and hibernate functions of windows?

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Two suggestions...

1. Make sure your "Secondary IDE Channel has your Burner set in DMA mode, (located in your device manager settings under IDE controllers.) This is of course if you have your burner on Secondary IDE. If on Primary then Primary IDE channel for your burner.

2. That there are no programs running in the background.

To make sure that a program running in the background isn't the problem try this:

Start
    Run
    Type in: msconfig
    Click: OK
    Click: Startup Tab
    Click: Disable All
    Click: OK
    Click: restart

Now you have cleared any program that might be a cause.

When your PC starts back up, make sure you leave the settings this way when asked again and then try another burn.

If you get the same results you now know that it wasn’t a program running in the background causing the problem.

You can reverse the disable by doing the same thing above, but this time click enable all and then OK.

6. trust121

trust121 Member

yo ScubaBud... i tried suggestion # 1. it worked out great.. thanks a lot for your help!

7. trust121

trust121 Member

My problem is back! Although not as bad, but it still irratates me! I tried all that was suggested on this forum. But when i burn dvds It skips for half a second when i play it. Its not too bad but after a while it gets irratating! I even re-formatted my comp.. And there are totally no programs running while burning.. Any suggestions? Im starting to go crazy! Should I get a new dvd burner? Thank You in advance!

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

you only got the one optical drive - the dvd burner. how about buying an el cheapo dvd reader to do the ripping from, i read that it's best to do all ripping from something that's not a dvd writer as they're apparently not built for the constant stop/start operations that ripping requires. i only rarely rip from my dvd burner as there's the rare disc that my reader can't rip.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Another couple of suggestions then:

What are your Paging File/Virtual Memory settings at and how much free space do you have on your HD?

Get this freeware program and see what is really running in the background of your PC while you are doing a rip and burn. http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

When you access your task manager you will see a performance tab. Look to see what it says under Commit Charge, Total, Limit and Peak. Do a burn, maybe this time with a RW disk so you don’t waste one, and post the results here for all three.

Either something is accessing your PC during the burning process, or your burner still doesn’t like your media, or your burn speed is too high for your media, fingerprints on the media, or your burner has a glitch. There is always a reason, just have to find it.

Just thought of something else that I believe we never discussed. How much compression are you using on your burns? Are you doing a complete backup or are you dropping unwanted audio, etc.?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  10. trust121

trust121 Member

sucbabud... thanks for all the help! well.. im dropping some audio by leaving the english ones only. as for the compression i use "auto." Should i do it manually? and if thats the case what do i set the compression at? my results after doing the things you suggested are gettin better, it just skips a bit. I used both tdk + and - in my burner and both com out the same way.. i also tried fuji media as well same result. Ill try the freeware program later on when i have time and post results. Thank you again!

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

trust121

I do as you do since I to, (man this all rhymes :), since my family likes the works so to speak on the copied DVD's.

I remove all audio except English, and set everything other then Main Movie to Custom Compression at it’s fullest. I leave the Main Movie on automatic. So far I have not had any problems with any glitches within the Menu’s or Extras and even if that would occur, who cares as long as the main movie is flawless! Let me know what you find.

12. trust121

trust121 Member

Ill try what you suggested.. when i have time to burn another dvd. so if i lag on the process im sorry.. but thanks again. ill let you know the results as soon and i burn a dvd..