1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help plz!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Chains, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Chains

Chains Member

I recently discovered how to back up my PS2 games using CloneCD. The first game i tried, alien vs. predator extinction worked fine, no problems. I'm trying to back-up Tony hawk underground and nhl 2004 now but the CloneCD, and the computer for that matter, seem to be unable to read the discs(?) Is there any way to back these games up or is it impossible? I play my back-ups using CD-Rs and a non-soldered mod-chip aswell, so i can only do swap trick.

2. DiskBoy

DiskBoy Guest

These are DVD based games and as such they need a DVD drive/burner and a program such as CLoneDVD, NERO 6, Alcohol 120, DVD Decrypter, etc. to read and burn a DVD image file.

3. Chains

Chains Member

I have a DVD burner, but my mod-chip only plays CD-R games... So does this mean even if i do burn it it wont work?

4. Irocz005

Irocz005 Regular member

Usually mod chips play both CD and DVD based games.

5. Chains

Chains Member

I need to use swap trick, only works with cd-rs... but can i burn a dvd game onto a cd-r somehow?

6. darkdays

darkdays Guest

ARE U NUTS?! If we could put all the information on a dvd to a cd, we wouldnt need dvds! What swap disks are you using? it uses a dvd disk to load dvd games, and cd disk to load cd games. and to copy dvd games i would use dvd decrypter for it. its simple and works well for me. also make sure your blank dvds are decent quality, ie; tdk, verbatim, sony etc. or they wont work well or at all.

7. DiskBoy

DiskBoy Guest

You do have a PS2, right? And if you do, it does play your originals, like Tony Hawk and NHL 2004, right? Tell us what kind of modchip you have.

8. CHADSR

CHADSR Member

Hi,can someone please help me with t.h.u.g i have have tried like 10x's but cannot get this to work.

9. Chains

Chains Member

I own a ps-2 with an old modchip that uses the dvd region x cd as a boot disk. I have been told that this chip will NOT play DVD back-ups, only CD-Rs. All i wanted to know is if it was possible to burn games like NHL 2004 and THUG onto cd-rs and use them with my setup. And by the way darkdays, i'm not nuts... you can burn dvds onto cds you just need a bunch of them. I was assuming i would need to burn them onto 3 disks or something.

10. DiskBoy

DiskBoy Guest

chadsr - I had success on first try for T.H.U.G. with DVDDecrypter, Memorex 4X DVD-R disk burnt at 1X speed. I use the fliptop and swap disks.

Chains - I'm not aware of any way to parse or shrink a DVD that will allow for play in the PS2. Maybe someone more experienced does though. If you have a DVD burner, I suggest burning your backups on DVDs and using the swap method to play. Much easier than swapping out 3 CDRs anyhows....

11. CHADSR

CHADSR Member

Thanks diskboy i'll try that and see what happens.

12. Chains

Chains Member

Diskboy thats what i was hoping to achieve. the thing is... i've been told my mod-chip wont play burnt DVD games, only cd-r ones. If anyone is familiar with a non-soldered chip that requires a DVD Region X CD swap trick could they please give us some info, thanks.

13. DiskBoy

DiskBoy Guest

Unless I'm wrong here, all PS2s can use the swap method of playing dvd backups. So, I',m assuming that 1) you could put your chip on Standby" if it allows it, and swap, or 2)you could just uninstall your modchip and be left with a PS2 that can use the swap method...No?

14. DiskBoy

DiskBoy Guest

I might not be understanding the situation with the DVD region x CD, my apologies if I'm not connecting with what you're saying.

15. Chains

Chains Member

hmmm this is really confusing lol Basically I own a pretty early PS2, and I got a modchip really early in the piece like before DVD backups existed. I tried to play a friends dvd back-up with my region x cd and it wouldnt work,ive been told by a chip-installer that i can only play cd-r backups. I think i would probably need to buy a new chip to play dvd back-ups... but still... why wouldn;t a 'DVD' Region X swap method play 'DVD' games?

16. darkdays

darkdays Guest

Chains think of this; if you were to put a dvd say on 3 cds, how would the game program know when to tell you to switch the cds? you would have to hack the program and put swap points in the game itself. or if you could put one dvd onto one cd, you would have to make the game quality so low it would be pointless to have a playstation 2 to play ps1 quality games. in short, upgrade your mod chip or get a new swap method. thats my point.

17. Chains

Chains Member

^^^ yeah, thats what i thought i would have to do but i was hoping someone would tell me otherwise lol Guess i'm gonna have to fork out the $$$

18. Irocz005

Irocz005 Regular member

I think you will be happy with forking out a little money to make backups of pretty much anything.

19. pas2mania

pas2mania Regular member

um yes you can burn dvd games to cd r but its a hassle. it is called ripping,but cheap chips some of them dont play rips. you do it by taking out good stuff like extra features and movies. they have rip kits for individual games.

20. darkdays

darkdays Guest

but whats the point?