1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help!! Problems with Windows Vista and/or Toshiba

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by SirenStar, Apr 17, 2007.

1. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

Hi,
    I've been a computer user for yrs and yrs but I'm not good at trouble shooting or solving problems without help. I don't know if my problems are Vista or Toshiba related or both so I'm asking here hoping someone can tell me.

I just bought the Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Windows Vista and one thing that happens is this drop down thing on the screen that looks like the row of keys with ESC, F1, F2, etc. It comes on out of nowhere and sometimes it won't go away. Even if you click on any of the keys, it doesn't do anything. Just gets in the way by covering up what I need to click on my web pages, etc. I don't know if this is a Toshiba or Vista problem but I would love to disable it.

The second problem is that I can't find where to adjust my touchpad for certain things. I go to mouse in control panel and even click on the synaptics icon and it only gives me certain options. The problem is when I go to double click on something, if I'm not right in the center, it just minimizes the screen instead of doing whatever it is I wanted to do. On my old laptops, you could set what you wanted the touchpad to do and the actual amount of area you needed on the pad for tapping (the area of the 4 corners I mean). I want to disable this minimising feature when you double click and I can't find where to do it.

The last thing I would like to know is how big a program IS Windows Vista? When I first got my laptop, I put on a few pictures and I noticed that my 80 gig hard drive only had 59 gigs available at that time and I had only put on about 750mg of pix!!! What in the world is taking up all that space? I know Toshiba put a bunch of stuff on but it doesn't seem like 20 gigs worth. Unfortunately I don't know what to delete. Last time I took it upon my self to delete things, I erased the Win32 kernel and erased my computer lol. I don't want to do that again!! Just wondering if Windows Vista is a huge program or not.

Anyway, these are the main things I'd like to solve for now. Any help is very appreciated:)

2. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member