1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help reducing my burn time

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by gq187, Mar 20, 2007.

1. gq187

gq187 Member

I am using RipIt4me with DVD Decrypter, Fix VTS, and DVD Shrink. No complaints - usually only takes about 20-25 minutes from RipIt to DVD Shirnk.

That's where things get slow. It usually takes about 2-3 hours to compress and burn a DVD using DVD Shrink. That has made me get in the habit of ripping the DVD's to my hard drive first, then a few days later I'll come back to burn the VOB files on my hard drive onto a DVD using DVD Shrink.

Is there something I can do to play with settings somewhere to speed up the burn process? New software, do things in a different order, or is it just my PC that's crap?

PC Specs (pretty bare bones entry level PC with no mods):

1.6ghz Celeron Processer
    512mb memory
    80 gb hard drive
    16x Sony DL DVD Burner (only mod to my PC)

I can't complain about performance on my PC otherwise. It still has pretty fast response time for all other apps (ie. load time, no lag, etc.)

Any help is much appreciated. THX!!!

2. gq187

gq187 Member

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I use Nero (version 7 I think) with DVD Shrink to burn DVDs.

Thx again.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you doing the whole movie with trailers, menus, extras ect..?

If so it is not the burning that is taking a long time it is the encoding process and with those computer specs it isn't going to get much better.

the best solution for you would be to use Re-author in Shrink and copy only the main movie. This will allow for less compression which means less encoding which equals faster backup times.

By the way DVD Shrink does not burn your movie you have to be using either DVD Decrypter or Nero for this.

If you need a little more help check out some of my guides (Link in signature) I would suggest the Pacman777 guide.

4. gq187

gq187 Member

Yes, I am performing a straight backup in DVD Shrink,extras and all. And yes, the encoding is what takes the longest.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll checkout the guides on re-authoring a DVD using Shrink.

Thx again. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

5. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

one problem I see is you only have 512MB of RAM, I wouldn't have anything less the 1 gig the more the better. My computer currently has 1.5 gig.

6. gq187

gq187 Member

You're right Agent0008...but I don't really do any hard core gaming or other high end media functions on the PC, so I really can't justify upping my RAM just for burning DVDs.

Besides, after following BBMAYO's advice and user guides, I have been able to burn 3 different movies, each taking no more than 45 minutes from rip to encode to burn.

Thanks everyone.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

gq187

512 mb memory is plenty. Granted more would be better but I have 512 mb Rambus memory and I have no trouble encoding and burning DVDs in 25-35 minutes start to finish. Even when I had 256mb, it was no problem, just took a little longer maybe 5-10min..

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The amount of RAM has different variables involved. What you have running in the background has a lot to do with how much you need as well as what is needed to run the backup software. That can be monitored with the Taskmanager. If you run out, the system has to go to the hard drive for virtual memory, which slows things down. You can turn off the AV and anything else that can be safely and usually be okay with 512MB. I've got a heavily loaded XP system with internet security and the works. When doing a backup, I need about 1GB to keep everything going properly without needing to turn off programs. I've got 2X1GB. I've not got close to the limit yet.

bbmayo
    Good explanation. I'd just add the revised version of Shrink supports auto burning with ImgBurn instead of the Decrypter burner ware with the original 3.2. The rivised version is linked to in your PacMan777 guide.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

transcoding and encoding are cpu intensive processes. you would benefit much more from a faster cpu than more ram. a little more ram wouldn't hurt though but really isn't necessay for ripping, transcoding/encoding, and burning.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Dito to Morts post :)

I just wanted to stress the same as Mort here. The processor is where all the work is being done while creating a DVD.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Ditto to Mort81 and bbmayo's posts. It's hard to speed up the process when it's relying on a slow processor. ;)

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Reduce compression!!!

Try reauthor,backing up main movie only/AC3 5.1 English only/cut out the ending credits.

That'll reduce compression and speed you up a lot. Less compression,then less need for dvd shrinks quality enhancements. The AEC enhancements like Max Smoothness/Max sharpness will really add to that process time.

Dvd shrink alone can get through a lot of movies. If any encryption issues,then it usually freezes during the 1st initial analyzation or when trying to drag the main movie over. If you can get through those steps,then you can use just dvd shrink and autoburn with nero or dvd decrypter.

If anyone wants a free program that will show how much actual processor one is using during any of the dvd backup processes,then try this free program called sysmetrix:

http://www.xymantix.com/sysmetrix/download.html

During dvd shrink's encoding and analyzing steps,the graph will really glow-usually over 95% + of the processor is being used.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Saugmon
    No need to go into Reauthor anymore if all a person wants is movie only or movie and menu. RipIt4Me can do that during the rip process. Unchecking audio and subtitles can be done in Full Disc.