1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help selecting video software for editing

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by aRTynz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. aRTynz

aRTynz Member

Hello All

I have messed about with video editing for some years. More recently I have been making some videos to put on YouTube. I can make simpler stuff OK with Windows Movie Maker and get it loaded, but I miss some of the more advanced features that I used to be able to do way back on Win 98.

At that time I used a program called DVP (Digital Video Producer) which has all the features that I want except that it won't run on Windows XP, and it only supports AVI files whereas I want to generally make MPG files these days as I don't trust that AVI files will work into the future and I like to keep all my stuff.

The features that DVP has that are especially nice that I don't find in any Free software are: The ability to join up JPG, GIF, movies with multiple tracks of video and multiple tracks of sound, and to overlay with blue (or whatever colour you choose) screen so that two videos are merged. Even more, the contents of one video can be changed in orientation and zoom as it is overlayed, so some fantastic special effects can be achieved. All this fitted on 2 floppy disks!

Is there any free software that has that type of feature? I have downloaded quite a few without finding anything like as good as that old software.

Does anyone know if DVP still exists as I would buy it if it works on XP? Alternatively, is there some other pay for product that does all that and also has the ability to input and output all the common types of files: avi, mpg, mov, flv, etc?

Thanks for any help
    Ray

2. aRTynz

aRTynz Member

Does anyone know of any video editing product that works on XP that allows two videos to be combined with blue screen effects and hopefull with rotation and resizing of one image onto the other. If this was possible over ten years ago, surely it is possible now.

3. hectix

hectix Member

I don't know about free software, but I know two of the most popular video editing softwares (that I know of) are Adobe Premier and Sony Vegas. At least they're used a lot. I know you can download trial versions of a lot of these programs as well. The list of programs I looked at didn't have DVP, but it might only mean no one there has it.

The best programs usually aren't free. That's about all I can tell you really.

4. shxckj

shxckj Guest

spam/scams/stolen software removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008
  5. daxiaoxie

daxiaoxie Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008