1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help shrinking a .vob file, there's something strange with it.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by wtfer, May 20, 2007.

1. wtfer

wtfer Member

Hey, so I got a .vob file from a DVD & wantto svae that clip on my computer.

Thing is the .vob file is a huge 1GB & is a very old & bad quality 20 minute clip of a very old cartoon show, so it's doesn't need to be anywhere that big in size.

So I get the .vob file & want to shrink it to something resonable like 200MB.

I used Ashampoo Shrink & Burn for it. I select the target output to 200MB & start converting.
    Well after 40 minutes the file is done converting & ends up only being ONLY 9MB & the quality is 10 times worse, totally unwatchable.

So I try other .vob & mpeg files that are 170mb & convert them to 80MB & they all end up exactly like that target output perfectly. Yet when I try shrinking that 1GB .vob file to ANY size (20MB, 100MB, 500MB etc) the "estimated output size" window always shows up it as 9MB & that's what it converts to when finished.
    I tried everything, does anyone have any experience with Ashampoo Shrink & Burn?

Or is there any other program soemone can recommend me so I can try to shrink that .vob file?

Thanks in advance.

2. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

If the source is already bad, shrinking it will make it even worse. If you want to reduce the size, might as well convert to MPEG4 with filters to clean up the source. I would use DVDRebuilder Pro with Avisynth filters.

3. wtfer

wtfer Member

well I mean the source is bad in a sense it's an old VHS quality rip.
    It's still very watchable, but it looks to be like a 90-110MB quality type file.
    There is no reason for it to be 1GB, thing is Ashampoo will ONLY convert it to only 9MB, no matter what size I choose!

I'm new to this & was wondering if there was another way/program to shrink a .vob/mpeg file?

4. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

You may want to ask Ashampoo support why it's doing that. Isn't this product used to compress to CD?

You can try DVDShrink (freeware) to compress using Custom Ratio option.

5. wtfer

wtfer Member

I downloaded DVDshrink, but it doesn't open .vob files by themselves which is the only thing I have right now.
    Is there something I'm missing from DVDshrink?

6. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

DVDShrink requires complete DVD files (VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_0x_0.IFO, and VOBs) to be able to import. So you're missing IFOs. In this case, you need to create a new DVD from your VOB file. Here's what you do:

1. Demux the VOB file into elementary streams (video, audio, subpics) using VobEdit. Just check "Demux all Video/Audio/Subp streams". If you don't have subtitles, you don't have to check it.
    2. Using IfoEdit, select DVD Author -> Author new DVD.
    3. Import each elementary streams, select an output destination, and click OK.
    4. Now you can import this into DVDShrink. Choose Full Disc mode. Under Compression Settings, select Custom Ratio. Slide the bar to how much compression you want.

7. wtfer

wtfer Member

man, I'm not getting anything to work.

IS this the only way to convert .vob/MPEG2 files to .avi?

8. dvdchick

dvdchick Regular member

have you tryed dvdsanta? it is a coverter..or you could try vob blanker to see what happens:) both you can download... good luck..

9. duckhead1

duckhead1 Member

i am new to this forum for replies. have been converting vob files to avi for a while, using Allok video converter, its not free but its worth the price. i convert movies to AVI with xvid codec for my 40gb PMP.

10. wtfer

wtfer Member

Thanks for the program, but it does not recognize .vob files.

Other than that the program is the easiest one I seen for converting videos.

Anyway for it to recoginze .vob files?

11. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

DVD shrink won't recognize a single .vob file, it requires the video to be DVD compliant which means .ifo and .bup files also need to be present. IFOedit can be used to create these extra files so that shrink will recognize and process the video.

get ifoedit here
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/ifoedit.cfm

Run that app and then choose to "create IFOs". It will ask you where you want the IFO files and the BUP files to go, just select the folder that your .vob file is in and then start the process. Once done you should have a working set of files (vob, ifo, bup) in the output folder that shrink will recognize and process.

I haven't done it in a while, so I hope I'm correct with the process.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  12. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I agree with John.

13. duckhead1

duckhead1 Member

i dont know which allok video converter u tried, but i use the
    mpeg4 video converter andit works great. it accepts vob files.

14. duckhead1

duckhead1 Member

hey wtfer....fyi......allok mpeg4 converter will take a standard 1gb vob file and kncok it down to approx 250mb if u select the normal video quality in the drop down box. avi with xvid. course the higher the video quality the larger file size.