1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help to find out if system can support graphics card.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Rhamhoy, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

I'm thinking about buying this graphics card.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=334545&view=detailed

Gainward GeForce 8500GT 256MB DDR2, PCI-Express, DVI/Tv-Out, SilentFX
    The problem is i'm not great on the hardware side of things and i'm unsure as to whether my system would support. I think my computer is PCI-Express because when I used the crucial system scanner that's what it reccomended, a PCI-Express card that is. I also have this link
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...e=c00587146&cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&dlc=en&lang=en
    which is the product specification of my computer. The only difference is that i'm running Vista and I have 1.5GB of RAM. I don't know how to check my power supply. When I look at the back of my computer it just says 230V and the card requires a 300W power supply. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

find out if your psu is 300watts , there is a sticker on its side, you have to open the case.

3. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

I checked it, it's 250 Watts but I did read a customer review where a guy was running it with a 250 watt power supply and was playing FEAR and Quake 4 no problems so I ordered it. Might have to get a stronger power supply at some point though. Thanks very much for the help.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It all comes down to what else is in the PC (which CPU, how many hard disks etc.) and how good the PC is. a Half decent 250W PSU can run an 8500GT fine with an Athlon64 and and a few hard disks. A Pentium 4 Prescott or Pentium D and you'll struggle to run anything more than integrated graphics.