1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help to upgrade the PSP firmware

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by jthai, Mar 5, 2007.

1. jthai

jthai Member

Dear friend !

I bought the PSP game for my daughter.. everything worked well with PSP in Movie, MP3 except the ISO game download from the internet site.
    I read the forum but I have the confusion.. I am still not able to update the firmware.
    The PSP firmware from the box was 2.6.. I followed the instruction to copy the fastloader 0.7 files into PSP folder.

ISO = copy the ISO game and PSP/Game/fastloader.*

when brown to the Game Icon and select the memory stick and the message said Data Corrupted.. (it meant the ISO game or PSP firmware incompatible)..
    I download the firmwre 3.03 and copy into PSP memory sitck.. (not using the USB but media reader)..
    The problem I got was I could not find any Icon in the PSP which allow me to update the firmware...

If anyone can help to post the print Screen instruction step by step to update the firmware from 2.6 to 3.03..
    By the way, on the ISO game.. example: Tenis Virture.ISO.. how do I know this game was create under firmware ??? or the latest firmware will open any ISO game files.

Many thanks for your helps..

2. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

first and foremost...

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PSP!!!!!!!!!!!!

i suggest you downgrade to 1.50 and then upgrade to 3.03 oe-c or 3.10 oe-a...this will allow for you to drag and drop ISOs directly to your Memory stick (no emulator req'd):

"Ms0:/ISO"

...and have them work directly from the xmb menu....

Here is a tutorial on how to downgrade from your firmware....

and once you have returned your PSP to firmware 1.50, use Hex's Winstaller to put OE-C onto your daughter's PSP...

believe me when I say, you cannot go wrong with OE-C...its arguably the best firmware running...

PM me if you need help mate

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  3. jthai

jthai Member

Thank you for your helps.

Does it ok to use the computer Media Reader or USB cable during the downgrade?
    I used the media reader for transfer the files but not USB.

Yes, I read the instruction from the link.. I fully aware the instruction..

any other tips you would like to advise.

4. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

You don't need to pay for software to put files on your psp, plug it in and open it, far simpler and cheaper.

Its perfectly fine to leave the usb cabel in, or take it out, whatever floats your boat.

Only other tip is to full charge your battery AND have it plugged into the mains to reduce the risk or brickage.

Good luck

5. jthai

jthai Member

Thanks !

For downgrade the firmware.. Can I use the Media Reader to copy the firmware into the DUO memory stick?

Don't want to spend money for USB cable when having the Media reader.. would it make any different here?

6. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

Ahhhh you mean a card reader! I thought u meant media manager lolz!

Yea man card readers fine ^^

7. jthai

jthai Member

I have another question regarding the firmware downgrade.

Please anyone explain me why we have to downgrade firmware from 2.6 to 1.5 then update to 3.1..

What is the purpose on downgrade then upgrade?

What is the advantage on this?

Thanks

8. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

Your not upgrading to 3.10 Sony edition, your upgrading to 3.10 Open Edition. To upgrade to the open edition you have to be running official firmware 1.5, because it contains a security hole that allows it to be installed

9. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

OE's & SE's are a "mesh" of the original Sony Firmware 1.50 [US], and the Sony 3.03 update or the 3.10 update.....

the entire purpose of you downgrading to 1.50, is to allow you the option of using the Sony 1.50 update "meshed" with which ever Sony update you intend on using...

(EG: whether it be for UMD/ISO movies or UMD/ISO games that require newer/higher firmwares)

..downgrading from official firmware above 3.03 is not possible at the moment.

many many many people use OE-C to play they're homebrew games that only work with 1.50 [or OE's] (NES, GAME GEAR, SEGA, PSX, GBA, etc...) as well as Sony games that require higher firmwares such as 3.03 or 3.10....

in other wards....there is no way to install an OE from any other firmware than Sony 1.50, oranother OE..

hope this helps

10. jthai

jthai Member

Dear PSP users !

I downloaded the 1.5 Recovery Winstaller.. I don't use USB cable to connect into PSP. I used the PC media carder to install into DUO memory stick..
    it does not install or recognize the file..Do I need USB cable to install the file into PSP?

http://www.skattertech.com/2005/09/downgrade-psp-v20-to-v15/

I also tried to use the file above then it said no need to update 1.5 current version 2.6...
    How can I downgrade to 1.5 then 3.03?

Please help.

11. jthai

jthai Member

Anyone here to reply my post...please..

I did follow the instruction and have no luck to downgrade from 2.6 to 1.5.. I copy the EBOOT.PBP file into the PSP/GAME/UPDATE/ (into memory stick.. again not using the USB cable)..

Go to Game Icon and select the file to downgrade.. Press X button and the Icon PSP Update ver 1.50 showed up.. Press X button to update..

Here is message prompt on PSP screen. Exact word ..

" The system software on your PSP system is version 2.60..There is no need to update"

What is the other way to update on this case?

Many thanks for your support..

12. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

I think what you were trying to do was update to 1.50 from the game menu, which is also what you don't want to do... you cannot put an earlier version of a firmware on top of another....in other wards...you have to basically hack your psp back to factory state &/or 1.5 state.."you cannot simply go from 2.5 to 1.5 ...." much work to be done.... thats y were here though....

Yes! you do need a USB cable to install a ".exe" extention file from your computer, not your psp...

I suggest that anyone with a psp invest 5 dollars and go buy one if they dont have it.....

Again, you cannot upgrade to any OE version of custom firmwares without first having a sony PSP w/firmware 1.50.....this is why you must downgrade; before you can upgrade...seen?

please read the downgrader instructions until you can teach it....

because not everyone has read that downgrade tutorial, you will need to ask questions that are specific to what you are trying to find...

13. paul91

paul91 Regular member

gasconade check your pm's

14. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

no... you check yours lol ;P