1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Need help understanding codecs

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by varxtis, Sep 22, 2015.

1. varxtis

varxtis Member

I am trying to create a tutorial based series and I want it to look crisp and clean Hi-Res HD.
    Ive tried creating MOVs using h.264, PNG, Avid DNxHD and Avid DNxHR
    The footage Im using is Screen capture from Camtasia 1080x1920
    The end result is a 1min 33sec video file thats 1.3 GBand is EXTREMELY pixelated in the darker areas.

I was under the impression that MOVs were pretty much the best you can get. But everything Im getting is straight garbage.

Does anyone have any suggestions? and anyone help me understand where Im going wrong?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

MOV is nothing more than a container & is no different to the likes of mp4,mkv etc.I'd start with whatever is the source of the video & find out the bitrate of it, as that's what determines quality & compare with final output of your encode.Next issue would type of encoder used & then the amount of compression applied assuming the source was any good to start with,there may be issues if the source was an already compressed vid & now your re encoding it again.pixelation in my experience is caused by compression & low bitrate