1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help Understanding "DMA" & "PIO"

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by AWMJr., Mar 24, 2005.

1. AWMJr.

AWMJr. Member

I have a sony dru 530a burner, suppose to burn -r at 4x until the new firmware came out to increase -r burns to 8x {DL it and installed it} +r at 8x, well here is my problem, burner has always been slow and all I would ever use was -r, some friends were talking and saying they burn dvd's in 7 to 10 minutes so I bought +r and it is still slow also still using -r and its still slow. I mean it takes me 1hr to burn with my burner software {Decryptor, Shrink, or DvD Cloner 2} but once I want to make a extra copy of a already burnt copy I put the burnt copy in the burner it reads it in 15 to 27 minutes, then ask for the blank, it comes up after I insert the blank 88 minutes left using bundled software that came with burner (Record Now) I checked the devi manager to see where my Dma settings were for my burner and its like this.
    In the burner it has in the Transfer Mode - Dma if available, both places but in the current transfer mode both places it has {PIO} is this ok? Or do I need to buy a new burner, this one is less than 1 yr old. My computer spec's are {AMD 2800 processor, 1.5 gig of ram 512 ddr, win xp, 160 hd as master, and 120 hd as a slave used to do videos and dvd's, a sony dru530a burner set as master and a dvd rom

2. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Your burner is most likley fine. If it gets enough read errors from a bad disc, it switchs to the slower mode to help. Some help!

DMA
    OPen Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
    On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager. That is how Microsoft Help tells you to get there.

I selected Administrative Tools and then drag Computer Management to the Desktop. Now you have a shortcut.
    Click on it, select Device Manager, select IDE controllers, select Secondary IDE channel, right click on Properties and select Advanced Settings tab.

Thank Bill G you are finally here. Transfer Mode should be DMA if available. Current Transfer Mode should be DMA Mode 2 or 4.

If it is PIO, you will need to uninstall your IDE controller and reboot. The system will then see you have device and re-install the driver. DMA has to be enabled in the BIOS on some PCs, if so use the auto setting.

3. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

4. AWMJr.

AWMJr. Member

Will uninstall once I get home and do what has been suggested. Noqoilpi thanks a bunch, if no luck with it I will repost in the same thread. Laboy thanks

5. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

6. AWMJr.

AWMJr. Member

Did as suggested and everything reset itself, burner working find burner in a good record time. Want to thank you both.
    {AWMJ}

7. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Keep on BURNING. If there is a next time, you willbe a step ahead.