1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help viewing on computer or external HD

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jrod81, Jan 29, 2007.

1. jrod81

jrod81 Member

Hey guys,
    I did a search and could not find this, but I am sure someone has asked already but here is my situation. I am traveling to Sweden to shoot a documentary. It is a 17 hour flight so I really want to bring the entertainment with me, but I don't want to bring all my dvds of course. Is there a way to either shrink them on my hard drive and watch them straight off my hard drive, or better yet, can I put them on an external hard drive that I am taking with me and watch them on my laptop from that?
    any help is much appreciated
    thanks a ton

2. onya

onya Guest

jrod81, An external USB harddrive is probably the best solution, they're alot cheaper than an upgrade to your laptop's hd. The only question that comes to mind is, how will the laptop be powered for such a long flight?(I've never flown that long) An external usb device, draws power from the laptop. More than one battery?

Have a good trip, bring back.... something for me.... lol

3. jrod81

jrod81 Member

battery life is obviously a concern... we are hoping that our flight will have the cig. lighter chargers under the seat. some planes have them on every seat and some about every 4 or 5 rows.

as for your help, i really appreciate it. so all i need to do is pick out an external HD (looking at the WD 500gig right now bc it is on sale at bestbuy.com), plug it into my computer and i am good to go?

how to i export the movies onto the hard drive? do i shrink them and then drag them over or what?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

jrod81,

Hello :) Of course you have many options you could with for this, but the easiest will be to just put the movie(s) on your hard drive (either external or internal) and just watch them from there. If you go with the 500 GB hard drive and copy only the main movie portion of a DVD then you should get somewhere between 110 to 130 movies on your hard drive. You could go a step further and convert those moves to DiVX and triple that amount without hardly any quality loss at all. That would just take some time to do. I would imagine 110 movies would be plenty for your flight though. ;-)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Oh yeah one other thing good luck finding a plane with the compter hook up. I bought a special converter plug made just for cars cig lighters and planes last year hoping to be able to plug into one of those long plane trips to and from Kuwait. I was never lucky enough to be on a plane that had any hook up for the computer :-(

Flew to and from Kuwait 4 times in last year (19 to 23 hours each) :-(

6. jrod81

jrod81 Member

okay so, i have used dvdshrink and decryptor plenty in the past, but when i shrink the movie it saves it as an iso...
    i might be completely wrong, but i don't think that saved iso is viewable is it? so after i shrink the movies that i want, what do i do from there to convert them?

7. jrod81

jrod81 Member

wow that sucks, i am not real familiar with how often planes have them, but i took a flight from orlando to LA on american airlines and the seat i was sitting in had the cig adapter under my seat... i just plugged my portable dvd player in and did not have use any battery, it was great!!! but who knows if that will happen again... i guess i need to start making plans for what happens if there isn't one...

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your right if you save your movie in ISO format you will have problems viewing it. However if you just choose "Hard Disk Folder" instead you will be good to go!

[​IMG]

9. jrod81

jrod81 Member

thank you thank you, thank God for you!
    so how many movies can i fit on a 100 gig internal HD bc i think the external is not going to work apparently

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It all depends on the size of the movie really, but lets say you have your target size in Shrink set to 4300 MB (most people do) then all of your movies are at the most going to be that big so...

4.4 / 100 = 22.72

So I would say roughly between 20 and 23 movies assuming you have 100GB free. The external hard drive should work fine though is there some reason you have found out that it won't?

11. jrod81

jrod81 Member

well, i still think the external might work but what most people are saying is that since the plane might not have battery power it will suck the life out of my laptop battery if it is plugged into my usb...

12. witenoiz

witenoiz Regular member

Hello jrod81, and good luck with this project. If you get an external hard drive you will find that that big 500 gig will need an external power source. I have a 40 gig that is powered with the USB plug-in. Your laptop has a 100 gig HD with the operating system and other related software so you will not have 100 gig for movies Unless you convert them to AVI (DivX) or mpeg or real player you are going to have problems. Let's say this 17 hour flight gives you 16 hours of actual movie watching time + the return flight = 32 hours. Take 16 2 hour films out of the retail boxes and put them in paper CD sleeves. Just put them in the carry on with your laptop! Jack

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This is true, but if you don't get lucky and end up on a plane with an outlet you are probably only going to get 2 to 4 hrs max anyway. You would need a really good battery for 4hrs and a good newer one for 2hrs.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You might also want to think about getting an external enclosure that you can put any lap top hard drives into. These require no external power source.

Here are a couple links
    Enclosure
    100GB Hard Drive

This would come to less than 80$

15. jrod81

jrod81 Member

man you guys are awesome. thanks for all the help.