1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with DVD Burner and backups

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Chrono99, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Chrono99

Chrono99 Newbie

So ive spent the last week watching 100s of tutorials on backups and DVD Burners etc etc..

I do have a Xbox360 capable of reading my backups that I recently got but im confused on DVD Drives.

I currently have a HP DVD-RAM GH82N ATA Burner.

Would that work for making my backups or would I need something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/XGD3-Payloa...=DE_Ersatzteile_Werkzeuge&hash=item2a4630bce4

Im a complete noob at this but have watched alot of tuts on this. I just wanna be sure that I have the right drive for the job and if it isn't right(I found a tut with Burner max 0.15 and tried that and it failed when I clicked Burnermax so maybe thats a sign im not sure) Then I wanna buy the drive that can burn all my backups new and old. Thx for any help

Edit: I just burnt a backup of Red Dead Redemption on that HP drive at 2.4x speed with layerbreak at optimal and it went perfect with no errors and verify had no errors. (Ofc I ran it thru Abgx360 before and it was all green with no errors) I wont know for a few days til it works cause my power supply died recently and I just ordered a new one

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Before you buy anything else try if your burner works with the payload tool. If it doesn't, you can always buy a new burner. You can't damage anything in the process (well, except for a blank DVD+R DL). And for your own sake use decent media.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Unless your going onto live you'd be better off with an xecuter lite rgh chip & be done with burning games.My sig has a link to a dedicated gaming site mostly to do with 360's,they also run LiNK & Unity,link allows online gaming for modded consoles,unity is for title updates & covers

discs should be verbatim from singapore, x2.4 can be burned x2.4 or x1 & x8 media at x4 or x2.4,had too many coasters burning at 6 & above on x8 verbs

4. Chrono99

Chrono99 Newbie

Now thats something I did not know. I Bought Verbs from Radio Shack yesterday thinking oh these will work. Turns out there made in taiwan. I still have most of them so maybe Ill find a use for them somewhere else. I did buy some 2.4x verbs 95310 from singapore after I saw that about only use verbs from Singapore. And my xbox360 is flashed. I cant do anything else besides playing backups and iso modding

Edit: I need a recommendation on what DVD Drive to buy. I see alot of Lite on XGD3 drives on ebay from like Europe and Germany but its hard to tell what im getting. I just want a DVD Drive that can burn my Xgd2 and Xgd3 backups..

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

As I wrote before, your DVD burner may be able to do that, just try with the payload tool. If it doesn't work, you waste one blank disk and can then buy a new burner, but if it does work you won't have to buy a new burner. You won't damage anything while trying.
    If you do have to need to buy a new burner, get this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optiarc-Burner-Drive-Overburn-5280S-CB-PLUS/dp/B0086ZU8XK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415138388&sr=8-1&keywords=Sony Optiarc AD-5280S CB-PLUS
    It's about the only burner I know that can burn XGD3 games (8.7 Gigabytes) on a DVD+R DL right out of the box. Also it's cheap.
    I personally like to think of it as one of Sony's ways to try to piss off Microsoft.

6. Chrono99

Chrono99 Newbie

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

correct regarding d2's

8. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

get an xk3y

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

10. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

You're slow. I had expected some troll posting that crap advice three or four days ago. An Xk3y isn't (and in my oppinion never was) worth the investment, especially now that the Xbox 360 is last-gen. Either get a drive flash and play backups only or get a RGH (for about the same price as an Xk3y) and play backups from the harddrive, use emulators, homebrew and so on.

11. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

xk3y = online (xbox live) and no coasters
    RGH = on line with xlink which his buddies most probably won't be on.
    and I actually don't appreciate being called a troll and giving crap advise because and i quote " and in my oppinion never was" so thats your opinion and I had mine.

12. richietea

richietea Regular member

Why would it be "trolling" Eisherz ? Tongs has given his opinion on a alternative.Yes the price point to being able to purchase a drive like a Optiarc cb-plus and backup what will come out for previous gen consoles would be cheaper.There was no mention of doing backups on the cheap and maybe he would like to have a hdd catalogue of backups stored.I'm not having pop Eisherz,just the fact someone has given an alternative which is valid for future proofing.Myself personally i wouldn't go down the xk3y route unless i was desperate to store all my images for years of gameplay or until i had a console die permanently.Here in the UK a drive with overburn to 8.7gb £35-40...25 Verbatim (UAE) £23..An xk3y £70..HDD's ten a penny.So in hindsight only at worse it's £20 or so dearer.What happens when when the discs run out? That's another purchase.So reading between the lines if the OP has his drive flashed he may have his dvd key stored to transfer onto a xk3y so it could work out cheaper if he wants more than the pack of discs as backups.Its just a thought Eisherz what do you think?

13. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

thing about the xk3y is you can go on live, 60% of xbox owners use live so if the original poster wants live then RGH is out of the question, I used to burn my own games then xgd3 popped up, I didn't have the correct burner but had a 1.5tb spare so opted for the xk3y as richtea says price of new burner, discs,more discs, some bad burns. most tech heads have a spare 500 hdd kicking about sooooooo. like i say its my opinion, not trolling or giving "crap" advise it worked well for me and live is accessible

14. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

I am sorry, guys, I shouldn't have written that post (or shouldn't come online at all after having a realy bad day), I didn't want to insult anybody.
    I wouldn't go down the xk3y route, because it's just too expensive, if you don't plan on testing every game out there. The burner is 24 USD, Verbatims you can get for around 50 cents each (and I personally never had a coaster), an xk3y is around 100 USD, which means you can burn 152 games (ok, let's say you burn 15 coasters overall and a few games are multi-disc, so 120), before you have reached the price for what an xk3y costs, and that is without the price of the harddrive, if you don't already have one. I wouldn't even say that there are 120 games out there worth playing, but let's say there are. As a casual gamer you play 2 hours a day, 7 days a week (weekends more, normal weekdays less), that's 14 hours a week. You need around 15 hours to beat a game in single player (for games like GTA you need more, but there are also piss-poor single-player games like COD), let's add another 6 hours for multiplayer matches, so overall you play each game 21 hours, that's 1.5 weeks. So for your 120 games you have burned you play 180 weeks. That's almost 3.5 years. Which means by June 2018 you have reached the break-even point between xk3y and burning, if you keep on playing the Xbox 360 that long and don't switch to Xbox One or PS4.

richietea and tongs007 like this.
  15. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

apology accepted, like i say it works well for me but may not be for everyone, peace out

16. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

still using the xk3y for fifa16 and pes, still safe, still sound