1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with dvd drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by j_sanders, Jan 28, 2005.

1. j_sanders

j_sanders Member

yeah my dvd drive is going stupid on me. and i need a new one. So i was wondering if i can just ripe out a dvd drive out of my sony dvd player...and if i can what would i have to do to make it so it can run in my xbox. or could i take the dvd drive out of my computer? which would be better?

2. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

depends if u only want it to use back-ups of games on dvd+-r/rw, as dvd drive pulls do not have the firmware to read the original disc.

3. j_sanders

j_sanders Member

is there a way i could add the firmware? cuz i would like to maybe either pull the dvd drive outa my computer....or sony dvd player. if its possible, how much would it cost?

4. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

I highly doubt it, but what you could do is check out ebay for xbox drives. However, there is ongoing research of how to upload the firmware of the xbox's dvd drive to the ordinary dvd drive found in computers. If your willing enough, just give it some time, alot of time. lol....or just buy another xbox dvd drive.

p.s: im not sure about the firmware being available, but i highyl doubt it is, nonetheless, check forums and other areas for more info and how to get it..

5. fedaykin

fedaykin Regular member

why not go on ebay and search under xbox dvd drive?
    there are a million on there for sale.
    if you want to put dvd drives that arent xbox drives you have to do some soldering and firmwares etc. i would rather just buy one for 40 bucks and slap it right in. but thats me!